What fire extinisher for van?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
After having a slight incident thursday night on way home from a callout, [with brakes binding a bit (had been into garage a week before Christmas when it did it before and supposedly sorted). anyway by the time I'd limped mile and a bit down the road to a shopping area with a big carpark (thinking I need to get somewhere where a tow truck can get in and not obstructing traffic), by the time I'd get there, stopped and got round to nearside front to have a look (one that was giving trouble before), not only was it it smelling very hot, but was actually on fire :eek: . Ran in to chip shop (about only place open) asking for fire extinisher where upon they just looked at me blankly as it was unexpected, after what felt like ages but was probably one five seconds, I remembered I had a 2L bottle of spring water on floor of van and ran back and put it out with that, and managed to convince chip shop to refill bottle a few times and give me bucket of water to cool it down to a safe level. Then managed to get hold of someone from office at work and get the tow truck company we ususally use out to it.

Apparently at some point someone put wrong fluid in the brakes and it knackered the seals on the brake cylinder! ]

Anyway, I think afer that incident I could do with carrying a fire extingisher as I was lucky I managed to find something to put it out with, if I'd drunk the water during the day and had been in middle of no where it could have been different! So what size and contents is suitable to carry on a small van? Do I need dry powder or foam? what size? 2L?

A.

No idea!! Good idea!!! Ask RAC, AA .

One that will deal with an engine fire I suggest ............BUT DON'T LIFT THE BONNET !!!!!

A neighbour parked his car outside our house , ( we have double yellows on one side of road) locked it and it burst into flames under the bonnet . I wouldn't have tackled it though , really fierce and that was diesel!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
good tip, if you have an engine fire pour water into the fuel tank, a hose into the filler is better,

thats assuming you dont have it filled at the time,

an engine fire will burn the fuel lines so if you have water in the tank the fuel will rise and water will come out the fuel line.

We have a dry powder extinguisher in our van!

Most vehicle breakdown places carry powder. Foam and sometimes a co2 just remember to keep it clear from any chemicals u carry and I would also carry a pair of gloves with it as some contents could be an irritant! Hope thy helps

CO2 , according to a lovely lady that works for Chubb fire services,

dry powder or foam would also do, but are more dependant on type of fire,

co2 should be the choice of extingisher for an electrician as it could also be used in the workplace for an electrical fire,

although foam is better for liquid fires,

BTW, foam extingishers are what are used in race cars and powder at motorcycle races

I have a small co 2 in my car but I couldn't tell u where it is I think it's with the spare wheel . I do prefer having a variant of extinguishers to b on safe side! My dad bought my sister a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket and smoke detectors when she moved into her flat as her fella is known for being one with the flames!

CO2 , according to a lovely lady that works for Chubb fire services,
Is there no concern about having what effectivly counts as pressurised gas cyclinder on board a vehicle as opposed to the other types which are more like an oversized spray can? (still presurised, but not as much so I think?), would you need warning symbols for presurised gas for a CO2?.... I know that you do if you have to carry oxygen cylinders for medical reasons (as well as oxgenising warnings)

Yeah, thats obviously true, I'm just concerned that it may present a risk if damaged in transport, in the same way that cylinders of inert welding sheiding gases would do!, or is this an issue that has been recogised and designed out with regards to CO2 fire extinishers?

That seems a lot andy!, do you live in the bronx :p . (or just in the middle of where the summer riots were? lol)

That seems a lot andy!, do you live in the bronx :p . (or just in the middle of where the summer riots were? lol)
useful things to have, especially when you like playing with fire....

and most of them were 'acquired' for various places

He lives in the North East ....... you know what they're like up there !!
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

when ever cars & vans get a mentioned on this forum, its always old nails......... where going to have to charge out at higher rates :D