What is this? (PIC)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

Im looking to buy our first house, looked at one a couple of days ago, not sure how old the place was.

But it has still some original vent heating system in the house, well there is also a strange looking valve as such on the front of the house, some houses nearby have the same thing buried in their front wall, some with covers and most with not. Its roughly 15 inches by 15 inches.

On the other side of the wall backing on to this thing, is a stud/hollow wall about 2 foot by 1 foot.

Maybe this thing is to do with the old vent heating system? i have never seen anything like it.

IMG-20120811-00131.jpg

My questions are,

1. Firstly, does anyone know what it is?

2. Can it be removed? & hole bricked up.

Apoligies if it is a little off topic or posted in wrong section. :)

Thanks for any feedback.

Lee.

I would say its metering possibly oil due to the type of connections as one of them looks very similar to the connection I had on an old moped it's like a eyelet with a hollowed out bolt, wouldn't have thought gas as under pressure of gas it might leak but fine with fluids. I live in a large city though so have never seen anything like that.

I would say its metering possibly oil due to the type of connections as one of them looks very similar to the connection I had on an old moped it's like a eyelet with a hollowed out bolt, wouldn't have thought gas as under pressure of gas it might leak but fine with fluids. I live in a large city though so have never seen anything like that.
the eyelet and hollow bolt thing is fine under pressure - they are used on hydraulic brakes etc

no idea what the thing in the pic is though, never seen anything like it before

It looks to me like a gas oil filter and meter unit.

Estate build in the 60's in a local town had this set up (no mains gas in the area then). There was a communal oil tank and ring main system with each property taking a (metered & filtered) supply from it.

Can you remove it? - not if it's still in use!