What qualification is required for a G98 signoff?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solarexploits

Reaction score
Hi, I'm intending to do a DIY install of a small solar system, grid tied, 3.6kW. I obviously need a sparky to do the sign off & would like to discuss the job with him in the first place to ensure we are doing everything "by the book".
I can't find anywhere exactly what qualification is needed for the sign off & obviously don't want someone without the correct qualifications

Couple of further Q's can you have a larger array installed but have an inverter (obviously on the ENS G98 list) that has a limitation on output, or indeed can set output to zero, don't feel it's worth the hassle & additional expense to go the MCS route to get paid for exports

Also, can anyone confirm that he will only be concerned with the electrical side of the installation, not the physical mounting of the panels as we'll be using some non standard home made mounts on a flat roof & obviously don't want to create an unnecessary problem

If anyone is local to me in Essex & wants to volunteer services at a fair price by all means get in touch

I've been searching round for the last half hour, nobody seems to make it clear what's required. I only found this on paragraph that seems relevant: -

"If you appoint a competent installer, they should know about the requirements set out in EREC
G98, and make sure that your installation meets them. You should check that your installer is
aware of all these requirements."

G98 is DNO paperwork and requires no qualifications. You do need to notify building control of a new circuit, for which a registered sparky is the easiest route.

Totally accept that, I can understand the difficulty the OP has that seemingly accreditations and qualifications arent published.
The magic word is 'competent'. 😃

I don't know why they bother asking the question, unless it's for future reference. When I first left MCS, I thought the DNO might give me some trouble, but didn't get a squeak out of them.

I’m more than a little gobsmacked that the DNOs seemingly have such a lax attitude towards this and as for Part P - makes you wonder if the CPSs are ignoring this or turning a blind eye

G98 is DNO paperwork and requires no qualifications. You do need to notify building control of a new circuit, for which a registered sparky is the easiest route.
When you say "registered sparky", that really is what I'm getting at in the original Q - The G98 form asks for qualifications & accreditation - so what qualifications does someone have to have to be classed as a registered sparky? I've seen comment about people having served 5 year apprenticeships & others having taken a few weeks course - I'm assuming as a layman that the qualifications they have aren't the same?

When you say "registered sparky", that really is what I'm getting at in the original Q - The G98 form asks for qualifications & accreditation - so what qualifications does someone have to have to be classed as a registered sparky? I've seen comment about people having served 5 year apprenticeships & others having taken a few weeks course - I'm assuming as a layman that the qualifications they have aren't the same?

To comply with Part P you'll need a CPS registered spark to design, install, test and notify

In addition

If you want to get FiT payments, the solar installation must be done and signed off by a MCS registered spark

NB: The MCS spark will almost certainly be a CPS registered spark

The G98 form asks for qualifications & accreditation
nothing to do with being a registered sparky, in fact you can trade as a sparky without any registrations at all as many of the commercial guys on here do, the law requires those offering electrical services to be 'competent', no more than that. Most domestic guys get registered for the pure convienence of being able to notify work to building control easily. Just leave that bit blank when you fill the form in, the DNOs are not interested, they are far more concerned about knowing you hav solar than anything else.

nothing to do with being a registered sparky, in fact you can trade as a sparky without any registrations at all as many of the commercial guys on here do, the law requires those offering electrical services to be 'competent', no more than that. Most domestic guys get registered for the pure convienence of being able to notify work to building control easily. Just leave that bit blank when you fill the form in, the DNOs are not interested, they are far more concerned about knowing you hav solar than anything else.
open......... can............... worms............ E V E R Y W H E R E #8o(

or become a “builder” - absolutely no qualifications required
This is ridiculous, what a mad situation.

When I did my Private Pilots Licence, 45 hours of logged time needed, exams, medical, flight test etc, proper structured training and qualification at the end of it. However, if you out and purchase a parascender (Rectangular parachute and a rucksack carrying a fuel tank with an engine and propellor attached), you can fly with no qualifications, no training, nothing.

This is ridiculous, what a mad situation.

When I did my Private Pilots Licence, 45 hours of logged time needed, exams, medical, flight test etc, proper structured training and qualification at the end of it. However, if you out and purchase a parascender (Rectangular parachute and a rucksack carrying a fuel tank with an engine and propellor attached), you can fly with no qualifications, no training, nothing.

precisely.

absolutely nobody polices electrical installers, sure the CPS,s play mouth pieces to the industry, but getting them to act on anything bar claims of fraudulent use of logos is almost impossible

then the muppets who think they know better, update the regs, and from what I come across, few people have copies , fewer understand them and even fewer follow them:(