What Should I Charge For Condition Report Flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedster

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just finished, some installation condition reports on small blocks of flats, 6-8 flats per block.

2 to 3 storeys each block

Each block has its own distribution board, with 5 or 6 circuits.

What should I charge per block ?

I just need a ball park figure.

Any help gratefully received !! ( I normally report on individual houses and flats).

Thanks.

Speedster. :B-

Dont you figure this out before starting the job? 

Or has your client got endless cash to spend?

Surely when you agreed the contract you would have told your client it will probably be blah blah amount or a rough estimate and then if there were problems or say minor things that were needed to put right and this is what your client wanted then you add the extras on to your original estimate.

Actually as a thought, think of a figure you want to charge, add £50 on and then donate it to the forum.

If you have carried out the job with no prior contract then charge £14,000 per block.

hourly rate x number of hours to complete the work
+1

You know....

I went to Sainsburys the other day...

got to the checkout with a box of cornflakes and a loaf of bread.....

The cashier said...

Wot do you reckon i should charge for this then?????

Actually thats a lie!!!

If you dont know how to charge for your time,

It may be best if you go and do an easier job.....

otherwise you will be out of business anyway by either making a loss...

or upsetting all your potential customers!!

:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:
Only certain longstanding customers who know how much i charge will just phone me up and ask me to do work for them without agreeing price beforehand.  However, even though they have plenty of money i will not overcharge them as I want more work from them in the future.  But thinking about it, its mainly maintenance or smaller jobs where I have done this ie a days work and wouldnt risk doing a bigger job without agreeing a price as I wouldnt want to take the hit!

probably 50% of my customers say just come and do it ....they are F longstanding customers, some of them FF big. They know that they will not get slapped because if they felt they were in for a spanking then I would never work for them again! I make sure I can justify every cost just for my peace of mind and theirs if I should ever be asked. About 20% want a bit of an idea ish... If the cost starts approaching this figure then I let them know. The remainder want an estimate usually within 10%, again I am very aware of costs running away and do not want to look more stupid than I normally do, so I keep them informed of cost.

I try to trade upon my honesty and since 'going solo' some four years ago I have never advertised and am booked up for months in advance

Just, sick of seeing people ripped off through others greed

probably 50% of my customers say just come and do it ....they are F longstanding customers, some of them FF big. They know that they will not get slapped because if they felt they were in for a spanking then I would never work for them again! I make sure I can justify every cost just for my peace of mind and theirs if I should ever be asked. About 20% want a bit of an idea ish... If the cost starts approaching this figure then I let them know. The remainder want an estimate usually within 10%, again I am very aware of costs running away and do not want to look more stupid than I normally do, so I keep them informed of cost.

I try to trade upon my honesty and since 'going solo' some four years ago I have never advertised and am booked up for months in advance

Just, sick of seeing people ripped off through others greed
Im actually very similar,

had a phone call last week [whilst on holiday] from a good client, he apologised and rang me back today to confirm details, didnt ask a price as he knows Im fair. and will keep him informed of any extras,

private LL with quite a few properties I do every year, do C1s and any other minor repairs as I do the PIR and most are included in my price,

he was fed up with the cheap guys doing PIRs for 70£ then loading the remedials bill to the max.

I now have approx 15 of his properties I PIR every year,  :D

Only thing I would add to Steps and Kerchuings postings, which I totally agree with, is that testing is a skill and worth around £30 per hour, maybe more??

Canoeboy said:
It may be a skill but if you work out the cheap ones (and i dont mean 5DW here as i regularly loose out to a large multi national) they can and sometimes do an EICR for 20-40% of the others in the area (and its another stamp job with little proper testing done) 

Trouble is Insurance companies ask for a report, the customer wants the cheapest possible and sometimes even when there are a load of C1's and an unsatisfactory no-one reads the report - it just gets filed :slap
Thats the truth..i recently visited a site that had a EICR in May 2012 pretty much condemming most of the installation nearly a full page of C1 most i could easily agree too even had reg numbers backing each. And not a damn thing has been done about any, I issued a EDN and walked away when recification was refused. May as well just draw a pretty picture on the coding page for all people seem to care.

The problem is people do not understand electrics and do think that any recommendations are really that important. They think that sparks are making mountains out of mole hills. for example the old guy that refused to have his water and oil bonded as it had been like that for the last twenty years and had never caused any issues before.

The problem is people do not understand electrics and do think that any recommendations are really that important. They think that sparks are making mountains out of mole hills. for example the old guy that refused to have his water and oil bonded as it had been like that for the last twenty years and had never caused any issues before.
He has a point though !!!!!!!!!

The thing is we are referring to regs all the time, in a years time they could change and they may not need bonding, we will all then need to do a refresher course to make sure we know that it's changed and pay out another shed load of money for something you can achieve just by reading BS7671.

10mm T&E for 9.5kW Shower, seen loads on 6.0mm with no signs of degradation but regs say's No, seen EICR's code 2 for this.

Back to the question. How can we advise you when we don't know what's there. Some blocks simply have a couple of lighting circuits.

Then the odd socket for a cleaner, maybe a door entry supply. But then there could be numerous electronics, video , cctv, communal Sky, fancy led lighting or loads of flush downlights. There could be hundreds of Cfl or 2D lamps , Emg ltg, loads of garden landscape lights, even a communal gym  etc etc ???