What Sort Of Scam Is This (Local Freecycle)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, too good to be true, it was fairly predictable so hopefully not too many fell for it. I was hoping for some new exciting and cunning twist to the scam but alas not so he only scores a paltry 2 on my scam-o-meter score board.

I 'bought' a motorbike on ebay once, only to be told it was in Ballymena [northern ireland] , well.!

imagine that, my mate lives there, so I told the seller he would come and get it, and hand over the cash,

surprise surprise, it so happened the seller was in the army in Germany, but if I paid him he would get his wife to ring my mate and arrange pick up as she lived in the forces houses,

are some people that gullible that they actually fall for this sort of stuff?!

Well, I've just asked them where they would like me to send the postage to.

not that I have any intention of sending any money, I just thought it would be interesting to see what address, or payment method they suggest.

A mate of mine recently advertised his motorbike on gumtree for about £4k. A guy sent various emails and then a cheque for £250 more than was  asked so my mate could pack it and have a courier collect it. Well of course  a scam was smelt and guess what, a cheque from Leicester University faculties department arrived (the guy originally claimed to live nowhere near there & why would a university buy a bike). It was the worst counterfeit i have seen of a tipexed out, photocopied cheque & was crooked on the paper. My mate emailed the university who told him this was about the 10th one that month &  even asked  if it was a particular cheque number.

Well they sent me the address to send my postage money to

It's Gransha Road, Dundonald, Belfast,

If anyone wants the full address including house number and postcode I will PM it to you.

I thought about that.

But at the moment, no proof a fraud has been committed.  It might well be if I send £10 I might get an ipad posted to me.  UNTIL I have done that, and then not got anything, no fraud has been committed.  That's why I haven't posted the name or full address on the forum.

It will be interesting if Step's Sister sheds any light on the address, or for that matter anyone with access to the NI phone book to check if the person really lives at the address given and indeed if it's a residential address.

Interesting.

Better than google maps is google street view.

It's a pretty tidy red brick semi detached bungalow on a nice looking residential street on the edge of town,

well, Dave, better than the phone book,

but, it doesnt appear that anyone of that name resides at that address, or ever has,

Im having neighbouring addresses checked, along with known associates,

but, and its only a but, my sister seems to think its a 'pyramid' type of scam where you will be told to sign up for a load of stuff, and once you have so many other people signed up then you will in fact receive an ipad,

so, not totally fraud, perhaps, but very very economical with what is actually being offered,

Latest posts