What To Do? Xp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm downloading ubuntu desktop Is this the right one?

Sorry for dumb questions I'm new to ubuntu :Blushing

Oh and....I have had this APPLE MAC BOOK PRO for 3 years now and not had a single problem.

Not a fanboy either!

:)
If you're an Apple fan but fancy trying Linux then Zorin 6 LTS which is basically Ubuntu offers a "Multimedia" pack for <£10. 

http://zorin-os.com/premium6.html

Zorin is designed for people who want to keep familiarity with their existing OS, or in their words:

"If you want to change the look of Zorin OS to look like either Windows 7 (default), Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Linux (GNOME 2.x) or Mac OS X, please use the Zorin Look Changer."

TBH I'd just try the free one and you can add the extras the Multimedia pack gives you later:

http://zorin-os.com/free6.html

(Btw, I'm running Zorin OS 8 i.e. no LTS).

OK so I got some time in the office to mess about with computers. The xp machine appears to have become vulnerable so I've burnt the Ubuntu iso to a DVD but I can't get the machine to boot from the optical drive I will try to burn it onto USB later if this is possible from a Mac book?

Have spent ages on this but got nowhere :(

Guessing you need to enter the BIOS on start up and change the boot sequence. If moving from XP to Linux then Zorn will be more familiar than Ubuntu

Changed the boot sequence to optical drive, external drive, internal drive & lastly network. On a vaio you have to press f11 to get it not to boot wondoze but it just wouldn't work.

:(

Not so worried about the appearance or the way it works I use Google for most things now :)

I have been using computers since amstrad was king & 5 1/4 disks were standard issue.

AnyOne remember to 14.4 modems :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys :)

I will try sp3 again the last time I got it up to date things stopped working etc etc it needed all manner of updates then suddenly the Microsoft update page just disappeared :( it may just be the crappy Internet connection at our office sub 3mbps 2x lines!? Anyway this was hugely frustrating and for the first time in ages I punched a computer!

Will give xp one more chance to behave but then it's Linux time! If I can get a boot able disk going?