What To Do? Xp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys :)

I will try sp3 again the last time I got it up to date things stopped working etc etc it needed all manner of updates then suddenly the Microsoft update page just disappeared :( it may just be the crappy Internet connection at our office sub 3mbps 2x lines!? Anyway this was hugely frustrating and for the first time in ages I punched a computer!

Will give xp one more chance to behave but then it's Linux time! If I can get a boot able disk going?
I know this is for Win 8 but you'll get the drift:

http://www.eightforums.com/tablet-touch/31140-sony-vaio-svf1521p2eb-usb-manual-boot-problem.html

Found this a few times:

Vaio BIOSs support UEFI booting by default so you need to set it to Legacy boot.

We will start talking about DACS boxes on your phone line next. You know those things that stopped you getting above 28K and no hope of 56K

3" Amstrad discs?

We used to use those on an old Ferranti test rig (in my previous employ) 10 years ago... They were networking them by the time I was leaving though
All our word processing was done using them.

Our pcs at the time were Apricot Zens running their own Basic. It was all very nearly compatible with IBM stuff but not quite. Had to get an APE software emulator from a firm in Reading I think (Ansible?) when we went to proper IBM clones. 

Which I'd kept my BT Merlins running CPM, had twin 5MB HDDs..........or were they 10MB?

@ Onoff

Sorry I missed your post getting carried away reminiscin.

Thanks for the link! I had read that it needed to be in legacy mode but wasn't sure how to go about it.?

Not sure where the assist button is :lol: typical Sony rubbish!

I will give it a try tomorrow maybe even sneak it in the house over the weekend :lol:

Thanks again! :D

Scoobed accordingly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ohhhhh,

will your PC boot from dvd?

although it gives the option of optical, some will only 'see' a CD to boot from, also check your burn was good, do the md5 checksum on the burn

i have NO idea how to do any of this outside Ubuntu, so dont ask  :C

Got it to boot off the optical drive this morning but during the setup I somehow pressed the media centre key and the machine crashed :( haven't got it to boot off the disc since. Looks like it will have to come home with me over the weekend.

So close yet so far......

Tbh on "old" pcs the optical drive can itself be suspect; worn, dirty and thus mechanically erratic.

I always seem to get better installs from USB. I have one pc at the moment where it's so old the BIOS doesn't allow booting from USB and the optical drive sounds like a bag of bolts! Yes, I could I suppose swap the drive out. As I understand it I can get round this by making a "bootloader" disc which you use first and this allows subsequent booting from the USB port.

But I can't find the link on how to make said disc!  :lol: