Where does poor Workmanship end and contrary to regs begin?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagnecharly

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few concerns in my home. Hope somebody can advise on how naughty the following concerns are. .
Electrician came to check bathroom extractor. Couldnt find spur so didn't install and left cables as you see in photo 1. Went back to office claimed job was done.

Out of curiosity, do all bathroom extractor fans running off light circuit need a spur?

IERC was done in August however it was not done in the loft.
PIR in 2021
Post fire kitchen rewire in 22
I'm not sure which edition would apply. As you can see cables are brown and blue so would that signify 17th on?
My question is are any of these against any codes? If so any idea which?

1) lighting cables in loft are connected via chockblocks. which are left loose
. Conductor or live core of 4 core is unprotected.
Old black and red cables chopped but not taped and just left in situ.
20230227_105028.jpg

2)
Cable hanging loose in cupboard. no clips.
20230301_220921.jpg
3) no protection over cable as it goes over the skirting board before going into trunking. Seems prone to getting scuffed.
20230216_145335.jpg

1) lighting cables in loft are connected via chockblocks. which are left loose
. Conductor or live core of 4 core is unprotected.
Old black and red cables chopped but not taped and just left in situ.

Well for starters ALL cable terminations and joints must be in suitable enclosures with NO exposed unsheathed conductors...

Currently Regulations would be:- 526.5, 526.6, 526.7 & 526.8...

And if you roll back through earlier issues of wiring regulation, (which used different numbering schemes),
you would need to refer to:-
562-03-01, 526-03-02 & 526-03-03..
that would be going back to 16th edition, amendment 2 1997..
(I don't have any hard copies prior to that..)

But basically those cable joints are CR*P, SH*T, BOL**CKS...
or just very very very poor quality workmanship IMHO!

But basically those cable joints are CR*P, SH*T, BOL**CKS...
or just very very very poor quality workmanship IMHO!

Thanks foryour oppinion and associated regs. I'm relieved its not me setting the bar too high. Your thoughts on the rest would be appreciated.

, and all fans should have an isolator

Not sure i agree with this.

There is no regulation assuming the bathroom has a window and in the case of a rental, an isolation switch isn't a good idea IMHO

And brown and blue was introduced during the 16th ed IIRC,

Why an EICR and a PIR 1 year apart?

It's been a requirement for ' mechanical maintenance ' since around the 16th, although cable colours changed a year or so before that. Either way, those connections should be enclosed.

Not sure what was going on with the electrician that checked the fan, but should have advised customer that it wasn't as it should be.

Why an EICR and a PIR 1 year apart?
EIRC was done between tenants.
It's been a requirement for ' mechanical maintenance ' since around the 16th, although cable colours changed a year or so before that. Either way, those connections should be enclosed.
Thanks
Not sure what was going on with the electrician that checked the fan, but should have advised customer that it wasn't as it should be.
Yet they went back to the office and said all was fixed. At least that's what the office said.

To get a better idea of when the fan was installed i though i'd check the internal connection. The cover hand been put back on properly by the electrician.

What i noted was it's a 6V dc fan requiring transformer. No transformer in sight and the cables are the usual AC colours. Should red and black be used for DC?

20230302_082851.jpg

20230302_083418.jpg

Last edited:
It seems so many so called sparks like using wago connectors but no enclosures these days.

RAF
Funny you shoudl say that. I followed the T&E back and instead of taking me to the dogs dinner around the lights it took me to here. to another dogs dinner.
All 3 conductors here are unprotected. Given this connects to the fan. and there is no connection to earth at the fan.. Are there regs to specify redundant cables should be earthed?

20230302_095259.jpg

All 3 conductors here are unprotected. Given this connects to the fan. and there is no connection to earth at the fan.. Are there regs to specify redundant cables should be earthed?

So the fan may not need an earth BUT the 230 v cable to the fan does need an earth / cpc.

Shoddy, lazy rubbish install IMHO

EIRC was done between tenants.

Thanks

Yet they went back to the office and said all was fixed. At least that's what the office said.

To get a better idea of when the fan was installed i though i'd check the internal connection. The cover hand been put back on properly by the electrician.

What i noted was it's a 6V dc fan requiring transformer. No transformer in sight and the cables are the usual AC colours. Should red and black be used for DC?
definetly needs a transformer.

Funny you shoudl say that. I followed the T&E back and instead of taking me to the dogs dinner around the lights it took me to here. to another dogs dinner.

View attachment 15045
A multitude of sins hidden in loft insulation! Even if the accessory doesn't need an earth, we still connect up the earths (CPCs are their proper name), to ensure if someone accidentally cut a cable or put a screw through it, the MCB will trip

points of local isolation, like shower switches, cooker switches, boilers should be fitted for a fixed electrical equipment. Can't think if this is regs or Building standards - I havn't read either for years :D
Not regs though.