Which system?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Could someone please check this link and confirm that this system is TT.

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss91/avinalarf/?action=view&current=aldcroft1.jpg

I ask because it's my neighbour's house and I expected it to be TNC-S like my own. Also, the only earth cable which I can't trace back is really small. I'm upgrading their CU to a 17th edition Wylex.

I'm going to do some tests - just wanted some advice on what else I should be looking for and if I should keep the external MET in addition to the one within the CU.

Many thanks.

PS: Is one allowed to convert a TT to PME system?

looks like TT. you cannot convert TT to PME, only DNO can (and if their network is upto it)

Nothing wrong with having MET external to CU

you will most likely need to install a rod if you can find it or its undersized cable. unless you can get PME

Thanks Andy.

Not sure which is best route to take; haven't installed a rod before. Owners are away for 2 weeks! If EON were willing to convert to PME, how long would this process take? If I upgrade CU, can I upgrade earthing cable and rod later in the week?

Isn't that also an old Voltage operated earth leakage breaker in the middle of the picture?

comming off the Meter?

If so me thinks that should be changed to RCD

looks to me like a wylex RCD in the middle of picture, if it is 30mA it will have to go or you will be destroying the point of having a dual split.

looks to me like a wylex RCD in the middle of picture, if it is 30mA it will have to go or you will be destroying the point of having a dual split.
I think you are probably right there Wozz. :)

I can make out what looks like the Wylex logo,

but too out of focus to read any more bits on the front of it..

At first glance just look like the old Voltage ELCB's...

but on second look... (following your promptBlushingApplaud Smiley)

I cant see any earth wires going in top or bottom? :| :(

I would concur with your prognosis there..

Plus you don't want a single RCD killing the whole installation dead. :|

well spotted wozz... looks like I shoulda gone to Specsavers!:pBlushing:O

i would have though it was 100mA, otherwise there would be two 30mA inline, but u never know i am only assuming.

if it is 100mA it can be left there, all though all if will be doing is protecting the tails, which is required if u are planning to use a metal CU.

Wozz is correct! It was a 100mA RCD which I have now removed, having upgraded to a 17th edition board.

Wozz is correct! It was a 100mA RCD which I have now removed, having upgraded to a 17th edition board.
So your telling us you posted out of date pictures just to trick us! :_| :_| :_|

I think its a conspiracy... I reckon Admin2 put you up to it! :(

:coat

I had one similar last week, had a Wylex 80amp 100mA RCD aswell, I was there to change CU and seen that it was only two wire coming in. However someone had taken earth from neutral to PME don't know if this was DNO or not. I connected as is and put on cert, I have tried to contact DNO however you don't get any answers.

I spent an hour looking around for a rod/spike etc but couldn't find anything!!

The Ze was 0.20ohm, so do I assume that it was done by DNO, was going to take NICEIC to this for assessment.