Which system?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it looks dodgy, try and get confirmation from DNO. if its obvious a DIY job, remove it an TT it. If its obviously DIYed, then the assessor will notice and ask you about it and why you have left it (probably OK if DNO has confirmed it can be PME), so best have your answers ready!

Didn't look dodgy, was done in 16mm2 aswell, but you can never be sure, you must be really bad to make a small cable run of 16mm look dodgy

I had one similar last week, had a Wylex 80amp 100mA RCD aswell, I was there to change CU and seen that it was only two wire coming in. However someone had taken earth from neutral to PME don't know if this was DNO or not. I connected as is and put on cert, I have tried to contact DNO however you don't get any answers.I spent an hour looking around for a rod/spike etc but couldn't find anything!!

The Ze was 0.20ohm, so do I assume that it was done by DNO, was going to take NICEIC to this for assessment.
I have seen a few pme done and some where certainly not done by dno but with a ze of .2ohms there should not be a problem anyway not until steps comes on later.

Batty

Didn't look dodgy, was done in 16mm2 aswell, but you can never be sure, you must be really bad to make a small cable run of 16mm look dodgy
i have seen DIY PME in neutal between ELCB and CU (yes, AFTER the ELCB...)

someone had gone to all the trouble to get it so wrong!

I have seen a few pme done and some where certainly not done by dno but with a ze of .2ohms there should not be a problem anyway not until steps comes on later.Batty
should not be a problem unless network isnt equipt for PME and has a dodgy neutral connection... unlikely to happen, but thats one of the reasons PME isnt always available for older wiring

The low reading was what made me think it could have been DNO,

The low reading was what made me think it could have been DNO,
low reading has nothing to do with it. reading will be the same whether is was DIY or DNO. just because it goes into a sealed service head etc doesnt mean it was DNO either

The street in question is a council estate and this property was bought before the council rewired them. I used to work, sorry was employed by, the council and remember houses that had been rewired being PME which again led me to think the network would be ok, but this is all done on assumption as the DNO as hopeless and won't give me answers

but this is all done on assumption as the DNO as hopeless and won't give me answers
Best ignore DNO an TT it... saves the hassle/time of calling them and speaking to loads of people who pass you back to someone youve already spoken to and still dont know what PME or TT is....

Best ignore DNO an TT it... saves the hassle/time of calling them and speaking to loads of people who pass you back to someone youve already spoken to and still dont know what PME or TT is....
I would still use pme if it is available as I have seen to many bad TT connections in recent times.

Batty

There are times when I despise the domestic installer scheme, mainly when they assume to alter an arrangement without prior knowledge of what they are actually doing.

You must never assume an installation is lets say TT or PMe without confirmation.

Go next door or three doors down and check the earthing arrangements there,ask the owners if they have been in the property long and if so has any electrical work been done.

Always but always press for an answer from the DNO to cover your back, if they pass the buck get them out for an emergency non existant earthing arrangement.

Thats what I do.

I just call the emergency number and report a dangerous non earthed electrical connection, telling them that I record a reading of lets say 600 ohm

They soon attend, simply because they have no idea which earthing arrangement they have in place for each property.

There are times when I despise the domestic installer scheme, mainly when they assume to alter an arrangement without prior knowledge of what they are actually doing.You must never assume an installation is lets say TT or PMe without confirmation.

Go next door or three doors down and check the earthing arrangements there,ask the owners if they have been in the property long and if so has any electrical work been done.

Always but always press for an answer from the DNO to cover your back, if they pass the buck get them out for an emergency non existant earthing arrangement.

Thats what I do.

I just call the emergency number and report a dangerous non earthed electrical connection, telling them that I record a reading of lets say 600 ohm

They soon attend, simply because they have no idea which earthing arrangement they have in place for each property.
Green giant

Surely as an electrician you should be able to spot what the earthing arrangment is.

There are times when I despise the domestic installer scheme, mainly when they assume to alter an arrangement without prior knowledge of what they are actually doing.You must never assume an installation is lets say TT or PMe without confirmation.

Go next door or three doors down and check the earthing arrangements there,ask the owners if they have been in the property long and if so has any electrical work been done.Always but always press for an answer from the DNO to cover your back, if they pass the buck get them out for an emergency non existant earthing arrangement.

Thats what I do.

See post 28, i have been working on this street before and know there is PME there, I did use the emergency number (I always use it as you know you'll get an answer). but they still said will will get someone to call back.

I know you lads do things right, what I am saying is push the dno to give you an answer.

You can not be fobbed off, you need to know,it is a major safety issue that needs an answer.

I am in constant communication with my local DNO and I am on first name terms with most of them so its not really a major problem for me.

If I find a property without any visible earthing arrangements I contact them and verify what they have on record. Most times they have no idea, but because I have enquired and made arrangements to verify my work is always covered.

If its obviously not safe, would you be happy leaving it?
As you have said if it does not look safe TT it. How many times have you come across a pme that does not look safe not to many its more tns with a bonding clamp or TT with a corroded connection or concreted in the ground.

Batty

If its dodgy, it gets a call do NEDL who are pretty good for timing and repairing stuff like that, the problem is more the staff who dont know what your asking

Also, according to ESQCR, the DNO must give information on earthing type