Which Type of RCD?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to the above RCBO's offer far better flexibility meaning

you can have

RCBO's
MCB's
AFDD's

Or even swap between them as required

Which begs the question why would you fit a dual RCD board?
Yes they do but a Hager RCBO can cost around £150. MCB are far cheaper.

I agree but what is to done if the customer cannot afford it?
Depends what you are trying to achieve? If they are skint, then why change the board at all, rewirable fuses are still acceptable OCPD. You could install RCDs external to the board for ccts like sockets if desperate to save money or modifying a single cct. There's many options, including returning when they have enough money. There's nothing to force any customer to change a board, unless it's fire damaged, which would probably be covered by home insurance. An odd little thing not mentioned these days is a 'distress change' which applies to damaged boards - I did one of these as the board had been trashed by a lightning strike. For a distress change you dont have to test the ccts, saving labour that way, but it's not really recommended. NB I did return to test the house after changing the board damaged by lightning.

Simple fact is, you are a business and if the customer can't afford your services, walk away, it's not your problem. You can give them loads of free advice of course, I've done that many times, and I think the longest time after doing that I updated the electrics about 5 years later.

Yes they do but a Hager RCBO can cost around £150. MCB are far cheaper.
don't use Hager then! :D

I mostly fit Control Gear, it's not my fave, but at £12 per RCBO is affordable and it's proven to be reliable gear. So say 8 ccts plus a main switch board at £45 and you are looking at £140 + VAT for parts.

And that's a problem, now how about discussing your other points. NB, I am not trying to belittle you, just point out you may have an error of thinking, based on my own experience of 17 years of running my own business, which at times has barely made me a living, and at others made me over £70k a year, and turned over roughly £750k.

For those who are willing to listen, the members of this forum have been there, done it, and got multiple T shirts 😃
Hey Binky, yes being in business is a roller-coaster but I would not have it any other way.

As always gentlemen, every day a school day and I take onboard your comments re RCBO's. If I ever decide to change my board in my last few remaining years on this earth, I will fit RCBO's ready for the next owner of my property!

Thank you all.

Latest posts