Who has the best test leads?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I agree with part of what you say; inconsistent readings can also be a result of a fault within the test lead plug (I have one that has this fault now - the lead looks like new, but its resistance varies considerably) ; and I have by doubts about the long-term connection quality of the croc clips, and their connection to the lead.

As for the Megger leads, you should get your facts straight. There are GS48 leads for live work; and unfused for dead testing (similar proceedure as the kewtech).

KME

My facts are right, Megger do not supply fused leads with their testers, ask meggermark I am sure he can confirm this.

KME,

Your 1652 is an early model as is my 1653.

Direct from Fluke themselves, they had problems with the early leads so they changed the manufacturer. Look exactly the same, but different build.

I had the same issues with my first set, however, the visually identical set I got a few weeks ago with my 1653B (From MeggerMark) are a LOT more reliable.

However, I feel that the build quality of the KEW leads is better.

I have a set of KEW leads I use for meter checks only which are kept seperate & safe, they ALWAYS check out with the exactly the same values.

The Kewtech leads are better than the Fluke equivalent, you can tighten the ends without the fear of stripping the plastic which is the main problem with the Fluke leads.

Both are superior to Megger in the sense that both are fused and comply to latest HSE standard GS38 which Megger leads do not. I am amazed that Megger are top of the poll regarding leads as it is unfair to compare unfused leads with fused ones.

It was a clever marketing ploy by Megger to supply their MFT's with unfused leads as they are cheaper and gives the perception that they are better and it has clearly worked.