Will the DEXTRA GROUP Impervia LUXT5249 PC EL fluorescent fittings take LED tubes?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibbs

Reaction score
Hi.

As the subject heading. I understand there aren't any LED tubes that'll work as a straight replacement, but I'm happy to do some rewiring inside the fitting - eg, by-passing the ballast, etc - if that is required, rather than replace it all. (Because I have a few to do, and they are neat-looking units :) )

Could anyone tell me what type of LED tube will be required, please, and what the process is?

Thanks.

As far as I know ALL standard size traditional fluorescent tube sizes have an equivalent sized LED version available...

So all that is needed, is to by-pass all the old internals, to provide just a bog standard 230v supply to the new LED tube.
And measure the length of the old tube before ordering the wrong sized LED tube.

The only problem I have had so far is with a really old light fitting, where the lamp holder bits that the tube pins have to connect into had perished, so they basically crumbled while taking the old lamp out!!!

Ended up being a new fitting + tubes not just new tubes.

Thank you.

That sounds like a goer, then. There shouldn't be any issues with perished parts as the fittings certainly look to be in very good order, but I'll confirm before proceeding - good point.

Any recommendation for tube make? These tubes seem unusual as they are T5 terminal, whilst being 5' jobbies.

Cheers.

LED replacement tubes are generally dimmer and use less power but you need extra fittings to make up for the loss of light. Don’t do it.

Not fitted led tubes for a while but I'm sure many of them could be directly swapped without modifying the internals. You got a dummy starter to replace the existing one.

But if you don't modify, you didn't get the full power saving.

Also it's not that they are dimmer it's the loss off reflected light from the ceilings as with an led tube all the light comes downwards, so ceiling areas do look darker.

I replaced five 70W fluorescent tubes by 35W LED tubes a few years ago and we are very happy with them. If the fitting is the old fashioned sort with a choke and a starter, you just replace the starter by the dummy one supplied with the tube. If the fitting is a modern high frequency one then you need to disconnect and bypass the electronics in the fitting.

I've converted hundreds of florries to LED, you just need to connect mains to one lamp holder. I've seen fires in fittings that have been converted, but with high frequency ballasts left in. So I would not do 'half a job' and wire out all the existing gear.

I think you may struggle if they are T5. T5 were heavily promoted BUT there are no many LED replacements about.
You could ring Dextra but last time I contacted them they were as much use as an Estate Agent ( other social pariahs are available )
Thanks. Yes, I did ask Dextra, and they just said there are no LED tubes that'll slot straight in (correct, as i now know), but to buy one of their new LED fittings instead...

Thanks all.

Yes, I've since confirmed that the fittings - which do not have 'chokes' - would need completely rewiring to supply mains directly to any replacement LED tube. Whilst I'd be happy to do this for my own fittings, this is for someone else, and there are too many other factors involved - say the output wasn't as high, or the light colour not as pleasant, then I'd feel responsible. So, complete new LED fittings it is...

Cheers.

Latest posts