Wiring an internal light fitting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake S

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to install two new light fittings in an upstairs bedroom. The current fittings are basic celling lights but only have a live and neutral wire, no earth. My new fittings use the same GU10 bulbs but also has a connector for an earth wire.

I'm confused as I don't know if this is intentional or even legal. The new fittings are a metal frame so I don't want to install something that's not safe. Any advice is massively appreciated. I'll attach some photos to try better explain my situation.20220704_124528.jpg20220704_124546.jpg20220704_124632.jpg

The little spot lights are the Original? If so you need to take them out of the ceiling to find the connections, at this point you should see an Earth core. If there is no Earth core then you must not fit the new light.

Yes the spot lights are currently installed.I've left them alone for now. I couldn't see a earth wire but it's an upstairs room so could it be possible the earth core is in the loft space and is taped off up there? I'm no electrician so I don't know what the standard practice is when a wire is not in use. Or should the current spot lights have one connected?

There will be a junction box with on the frame of the spot light or separately if you pull the spot light out of the ceiling then you see more clearly what I am saying.

The lights are held into the ceiling with spring clips, you can see then in your photograph on either side of the light fitting, be careful when you pull the fitting down the spring clips are powerful enough to give your fingers a nasty rap when they spring out of the hole in the ceiling.

the two wires you see are coming from the same connector you have in the new fitting just pull it down" as MikeJ said be careful when you pull the fitting down the spring clips are powerful enough to give your fingers a nasty rap" and you will seeok ?