Wiring double light switch back to single

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank199

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have recently purchased a house a the previous had a double light switch installed. One switch to control bedroom lights and the other to control bathroom lights this was done as she opened the wall up between the bedroom and Bathroom. I am now reinstating the wall and a want to change the light switch back to single so any advice on the matter on how to connect it would be much appreciated. There is a terminated grey cable which I assume was previously used. I have basically zero experience with this kind off stuff so apologize 😂

IMG20221120223231.jpgIMG20221120223242.jpgIMG20221120223340.jpg

Brown wires are going to bathroom switch and red to the bedroom. Do I remove short red wire and terminate brown wire at switch and light ?🤔

This switch is in the bedroom and it is the bathroom wiring which I' am looking to remove just to be clear as there is a main bathroom switch in the bathroom.

Which amp of switch do i need when buying a new single switch?

Also I assume it is a 1 way 1 gang switch that I need as there as no other switches for the bedroom lights

Post edited to make it easier to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a live feed has been taken from the old cabling. Disconnect the short red wire and see what happens, I suspect your bathroom lights will not work, the cabling for which is odd!

It looks like a live feed has been taken from the old cabling. Disconnect the short red wire and see what happens, I suspect your bathroom lights will not work, the cabling for which is odd!
Correct yes I done exactly that and no neither the bathroom switch in the bedroom or the one in the bathroom will operate the bathroom light

Attachments

• IMG20221121203851.jpg
    IMG20221121203851.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Correct yes I done exactly that and no neither the bathroom switch in the bedroom or the one in the bathroom will operate the bathroom light
No surprise there 😁, I would get in the attic and rewire the bathroom lights from another source. You can keep the switch line if it's any good to you, otherwise just disconnect at the light.

So there's two things with that.

Firstly it's a 3 stories house this bathroom is second.

also the bathroom isn't a single light it's got them multiply small led flush ceiling lights

Sounds like it maybe a job for a professional?

Latest posts