Woman On A Mission .. Need To Wire Extra Lights In Van.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonie

Reaction score
Hi

I am in the process of improving and customising a van to our business and hobby needs whilst my husband is out working all hours to bring the  money in to pay for it :)   I have absolutely no idea where to start with the following and need help as my budget is disappearing fast and I need to do what I can myself!

I have a 2004 Citroen Dispatch van which has a front console light that comes on when the front doors are opened as is usual.  There is a rear interior light in one side of the rear of the van which does not work.  I have not yet checked bulbs or fuses yet for this but I have removed the head liner so all the wiring is exposed and it looks a bit all over the place to be honest.

What I would like to achieve:

> The front console and a light fixed on either side of the rear of the van (one already in and the other ordered) to come on when the door is opened and fade off after a set time as the front console in the cab does.

> Two more small 12v fluorescent lights which are controlled by a central on/off switch for when more controlled light is needed.

I hope you can help me as I have been looking for a tutorial or wiring diagram help for a week and can't find anything to help me anywhere :(

Thanks in advance.

Look at LEDs. Things have moved so fast in the last year or so that the output is amazing with the current draw is low.

The first thing I'd do is replace existing lamps (=bulbs) with LED equivalents. I used these guys - http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php beware cheap ebay crap.

The next thing you need to decide is whether the current wiring of a given circuit can handle the extra load. You may be able to read wire size off the cable. You also need to look in your handbook and find the fuse on the circuit. You don't want to keep overloading and blowing fuses. You can always take a fresh feed from the battery, add a secondary fuse box under the bonnet and then run to your heart's content.

Do you plan on working in the van for periods without the engine running? If so you might be wise to look at the split charge set ups and adding a secondary battery.

And welcome to the forum

welcome,

what exactly are you wanting to do?

I had a scudo recently, which is the exact same van really,

do the current lights dim and then turn off?

how much light do you need?

I currently have a relay with LEDs in the rear that do exactly what you describe, dim and then turn off.

Thanks for the replies :)

The only working light I have at the moment is the one in the front cab.  I think my job for tomorrow will be to do a detailed wiring diagram of what is there at the moment as I want to do a proper job with the correct wiring.  There is also a parking sensor etc.

We use the van in the day for dog walking which is where the lights coming on with the front console and fading off come in.  That's all the time we would need and wouldn't need a lot of light.  At the weekend we compete with our own dogs in flyball (it's a dog sport) which is when the van becomes the dogs home from home at night, we need the lights on the switch for this.  The van is having custom made crates fitted in November which will fill the back and make any future wiring more difficult/impossible so am trying to add everything now I think I will need.

I will post tomorrow when I have the wiring diagram.

If it's like my Subaru, the dimming mechanism is in the light fitting.  It has a permanent L and switched L (well the 12V equivalents) to operate it.

I just wanted to pop back to say that once I started to draw up the wiring diagram I realised that I was going to be out of my depth and was going to have to dig in my pockets.  I will hold up my hand and say this is beyond me and will willingly pay somebody who knows there stuff.

Thanks for the replies and the offer of help :)

I've put some LED tape along the centre line of of the roof in my Expert... Had to run it off an architrave switch as the door switch didn't work.... Loads of light :)
similar here Noz, I have it running round the edge, comes on when the back door is opened,

must fit a switch at the side door cos that switch is knackered,,,,,,

Latest posts