Wonder how much this set up cost??????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and how long before the power companies want separate metering for EV incorporating a ‘smart’ meter function to give them control? 

A part of the approval for the OZEV grant for charge points is that they are "Smart"..... as well as giving the user more control of when the car is charged,,, it may give the DNO some load throttling ability in the future

Oh and how long before the power companies want separate metering for EV incorporating a ‘smart’ meter function to give them control? 

or more likely the ability to charge more to charge EV’s

A part of the approval for the OZEV grant for charge points is that they are "Smart"..... as well as giving the user more control of when the car is charged,,, it may give the DNO some load throttling ability in the future

Well.....  :|

If "Smart Meters" are anything to go by it will be a long time before they get any other "Smart" technology working reliably...   :yawn

It's certainly been at least 12 years, (2008 ish), maybe more since UK domestic smart meters started being fitted..

And they are still NOT working 100% reliably yet in Jan 2021!!!!!!!!!

So...  gawd help us if they are also trying to work out EV charging and/or supply back into the grid!!!

Theoretically with "Smart Meters" you will no longer get "Estimated" bills..   

But NO.. this is untrue!!!

So how would "estimated" power back into the grid work?????????????????????????????????????????????????   :C :shakehead :Chairfall

Just to back-up my above "allegations"..

1. Personally I don't have any aversion to the concept of "smart meters" 

2. We have had smart electric &  gas meters fitted since July 2008.

3. When the electric meter went round the clock.. (99999 back to 00000) the automatic calculation failed!!

4. New meter fitted..

5. Even with new meter the "accurate automatic correct billing" still doesn't work all of the time!

6. 7th of Jan 2021, bill is "ESTIMATED" for the electric aspect. (gas OK).

7. 26th of  Nov 2020, Supplier sends e-mail, admitting they have a problem with their "Smart Meters" and request you to log on to give "Manual Readings".

SO....

12+ years and they still haven't got the technology working reliably and correctly!!

I rest my case Your honour!  :Salute

I would not like to put my tongue on that battery. I couldn't see my tongue reach the pins.🤣

I agree about the Smart meter rubbish. They still charge by the quarters not what you use. Well British Gas anyway. Makes no sense to add new tech if they still do it via the quarter pay scheme only as someone said benefits them.