woodland lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozzer66

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to this site. i am trying to illuminate a small area of woodland 800 mtrs from mains supply, with 2 or 3 500W floodlights. I know that swa cable is expensive, and im thinking that the cable would have to be pretty large to overcome voltage drop? What is the best way to do this? Is it possible at all?........also thought about solar lights but am not sure how many i would need to get the equivalent of 1500W and how they perform in woodland with regards to recharging. The lights will be on for 4 hours each night for approx 6 months of the year. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I personally can't help with this - but someone will be able to.

:)

welcome to this fine estableshmentGuinness

what about a small genny :p

bob

Yep think Some portable power source is your only option rather than 70mm cable :eek: .

Ian.

Now if you swapped out your 500W lights for some Low Energy floods then you would only need 4-6mm cable (but at that distance will probably want to TT that circuit).

Ian.

it would be cheaper to get a high quality electric start genny, you could problly pick one up for less the

I think you will need 16mm for three floods at that distance as others have said generator may be better option. You could go for son or metal halide fittings 70 watt give same light output and cable probably would be a lot less even 6mm.

Batty

just thinking, does the volt drop limit HAVE to be applied in all situations?

i was thinking along the lines of a supply to halogens with a few too many volts lost will just make them a bit dimmer, so may not be that much of a problem considering the expense involved in meeting the VD calcs.

Where as low energy or SONS may not like the lower voltage? and therefore give problems striking.

Just trying to think outside the box here...

WHY would you want to use halogen????

You could prob. fit a 150W Metal Halide, to do the same job - OK, 250W maybe. The V. drop on that isn`t going to be seriously significant :)

That`d be my way of looking at it.........

KME

does anyone know how voltage drop should be calculated for son /metal halide?

IE should a factor of 1.8 for start inducton be included in the calculation?

also would a volt drop affect the lamps ability to strike?

Thanks Ian, does TT mean that it needs its own earth? is there a formula i can use for low energy floods, i dont want to buy half a mile of 6mm if i can use 4mm or use too small a cable etc.

would this circuit need its own mcb at the main board, it couldnt come from a spur from the ring main could it if the cable is 4 or 6mm. Thanks again

Yes, give it its own earth as there could be a difference in potential of the earth especially given the distance.

As for calcs, you should use the BRB or OSG but that tlc link posted by m4tty would be a good indication. Depending on the lights used, you may want to raise the power required.

I would be tempted to give it its own mcb at the board (or better still rcbo) but you could use a sfcu with maybe a 1-3A fuse in off of a ring/radial.

TBH for the cost of the cable/time/etc it may be worth looking at low power off a battery/genny/other power source. I for one would not like to dig a 2 foot deep trench for half a mile of cable.

Other potential (expensive) option could be to see if DNO will do a new install there.

Ian.

Yes, give it its own earth as there could be a difference in potential of the earth especially given the distance.As for calcs, you should use the BRB or OSG but that tlc link posted by m4tty would be a good indication. Depending on the lights used, you may want to raise the power required.

I would be tempted to give it its own mcb at the board (or better still rcbo) but you could use a sfcu with maybe a 1-3A fuse in off of a ring/radial.

TBH for the cost of the cable/time/etc it may be worth looking at low power off a battery/genny/other power source. I for one would not like to dig a 2 foot deep trench for half a mile of cable.

Other potential (expensive) option could be to see if DNO will do a new install there.

Ian.
did not think of that Applaud Smiley

http://www.moleuk.com/ :D if the route is straight this would work ]:)

bob

overhead may be a better option than a lot of digging. get rid of the halogen - use MH or SON.

if there is a DNO cable anywhere near, it may be cheaper to get a new connection to a weatherproof enclosure and take supply from there. even if its 200mtr away, it may still work out cheaper

could always use a genny to power the lights?

Thanks again everyone, lots to think about, genny maybe better, nobody has commented on the solar options.?