Working For Non English Speaking Customer.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Boy that was hard work.

It started with a phone call at 10:30PM last night. It was the guys neighbour that phoned me to tell me all the sockets had tripped and wouldn't reset, would I come out.  Err no, not coming out at 10:30, I'll come mid morning after I have finished my first booked job.

So I turn up. the guy is Polish. Spoke hardly a work of English. Just kept pointing at the RCD and uttering the two words he knew which I got as "faulty" and "replace"

Nope that won't do it, Big leakage fault N-E on that circuit. But how do you explain to someone that doesn't understand a word of what you say that there's a leakage fault.

So carry on regardless investigating the circuit.  It boils down to the first leg of the ring from the CU to the Kitchen. Not only is the N (at the CU end) showing very low IR to earth, but it's showing open circuit continuity to the first socket.  And of course it's red / black at the CU but arrives at the first socket as Brown / blue.  

Looks like a new kitchen so probably a hidden / plastered over junction somewhere.

The best I could do was disconnect that leg and downrate the MCB to leave it as a working radial circuit.  I gave up trying to explain I would have to start ripping his kitchen to bits to do anything else.

I can honestly say this is the first time I have encountered a customer who I can barely communicate with at all. How do the rest of you cope?  would you start ripping his kitchen to bits? He would soon understand I guess but might not be best pleased.

my last 'how much' customer finally shut up moaning when i told her that her husband is lucky is isnt dead. and it would have cost the same to change the light as its taken to get it working correctly. idiot put SL in earth terminal, neutral in L terminal, earth in neutral...

Anyone else always turn off power to the entire house before touching a non-working light that A N other has installed?

Was out last week and the misses asked for a 'pink xxxxx'

What I say

'Pink xxxx'

Just tell the bar man what you want.

'Pint of shandy'

Scotch folk should learn to talk properly.

My wife just said "Surely he knows a Polish electrician?"

That's like the Glaswegian in an hotel

Phones room service

"Have you got any pepper"

"yes madam, white pepper or black pepper?"

"Toilet pepper" 

Did a job for a builder recently whose client said she did not want foreign workers in her flat. We thought she was racist and we were a bit shocked tbh, but went along for the pre-job meeting anyway. Turned out she felt uncomfortable when workers were talking to each other using language she could not understand, she wanted to know that there were no secrets or corner cutting being discussed that would be apparent if english was spoken throughout. Made sense really.

Oh Joy.

His neighbour phoned again.

The RCD has tripped again.

So it wasn't just the I/R fault on the ring final, he's probably got a dodgy appliance as well.

Can't wait to go back there again.....

Why not type out a brief explanation and run it through google translate? It might not be perfect but should get the idea across.

polish.jpg

Did a job for a builder recently whose client said she did not want foreign workers in her flat. We thought she was racist and we were a bit shocked tbh, but went along for the pre-job meeting anyway. Turned out she felt uncomfortable when workers were talking to each other using language she could not understand, she wanted to know that there were no secrets or corner cutting being discussed that would be apparent if english was spoken throughout. Made sense really.
Oh look another one OMFG THATS RACIST give it a friggin rest for gods sake

Persians at local chippy... Ordered some chips and he says to me "sore finger?"... I looked at him.... then looked at my finger puzzled.... "no no... sore finger" he said, getting a bit angry.

he was trying to ask me if I wanted salt and vinegar!

many takeaways have the menu items numbered... there is an identical menu in the back, in their language (since they dont know english...).. order by the number, they look at theirs...

Latest posts