Working in plasterboard ceilings with no access from above

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemist

Reaction score
Can anyone provide advice on how to route cables in a plasterboard ceiling when there is no access from above?

The only way I can think of approaching it is it to cut holes at each joist, drill through the joist and pass the cable through. Then repair the hole afterwards.

Is there a better way of doing it. I can imagine that the way I mention above will require quite a bit of making good.

An example of when I would want to do it, is adding recessed lighting in a single story extention that only has a single luminaire in the middle of the room.

Thanks

Mike

i use a 4" hole saw, cut the hole and save the piece that comes out, run the cables then slide a 2"x1" batten through the hole screw the piece back that you have saved and use some filler where the teeth from the hole saw have cut. Job done ten minutes max.

flat or pitched roof?

pitched should be easy ish to do with rods

flat, make a mess, use safe zone across the top of the wall?

Just quoted on a kitchen job where lights & switch drops are to be moved, customer is adamant no floors are coming up on the first floor as they are all wood & bathroom floor has just been tiled.

He'll have to counter sign the quote that includes