Worlds best extension lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyMaskell

Reaction score
I was at a friends for a BBQ over the weekend and came across this in the garage it is a home made extension lead from an old lawn mower 2 core and a previous extension lead "connected" with some cage clamps and obviously the earth left out.

The house has no RCD to be found I did tell him but I was told its fine can other people comment on how dangerous this is so I can show him thanks guys

image.jpg

Dear sir,

Just seen a photo of your extension lead. Just thought i would tell you what could very well happen....

Say you are out on the garden using this thing. Say the lead gets cut, or a piece of class one equipment, [think anything made of metal] develops a fault. Here is what will happen....

It will become live...You will become live... Now, i know your sockets most likely have a 32A "B" curve circuit breaker. IF, and i doubt it, your extension could flow 160A, YES, that is 160A, the power should cut off in .4 of a second. Meanwhile, 0.046A is more than enough to kill you, so for your breaker to cut off the power, you would have to receive a shock nearly 4000 times enough to kill you......

As the impedance [think resistance] of your body, and the ground you are standing on, will not conduct a current of this size, the breaker will not trip, and THE POWER WILL NEVER CUT OFF

Either you or a member of your family, will carry, whatever current flows at the time, for EVER basically.... It will NOT cut off, they COULD NOT survive this....

I do think you ought to listen to you electrician friend regarding this

john...

Thanks that's just what he needs to hear if I could get people opinions on why he should pay to have at least 1 RCD fitted on his old re wirable board that would be a huge help now I've got the momentum going

Well here's the thing, this happened in my own garden.

Wife cutting the lawn with Flymo which had a 2 Core Lead (not sure you can buy them in 2 core now) I never cut lawn or do gardening, anyway she went over lead and cut lead clean in half, Rcd did not trip Mcb did.

When doing PAT tests I've lost count of the extension leads I've come across where 2 Core Flex has been used as 5-13A Extension Leads.

I cut Plug and Socket off and Red Label it

dear sir

You are a total pillock and obviously have no care or concern for the guests that frequent your property. If the unthinkable happens and you electrocute someone I hope they throw the book at you.

Have a nice day.

Just in case the other replies are too polite.

a) Fix a label to it saying "Child Killer, Do not Use"

B) Tell his missus one of them is going to die.

c) Cut the plug off.

d) Fill in one of the red danger forms and post it to his missus.

Why is it, extension leads bring out the worst in people.

I found someone using a 25 metre extension lead to power a washing machine AND a tumble dryer both about 4 metres from the nearest socket. Needless to say most of it was still wound on the drum.

I advised them of the danger.

Their reply was "I wondered why the lead kept melting and I had to buy another one"

FFS after the first lead melted, they went and bought another of THE SAME TYPE.

Sometimes I think Darwin should be left alone to perform natural selection.

My old man had an old vir extension lead with the inner cores showing. I kept moaning at him to replace it, so come Christmas he got a crate of beers and an extension lead.

My old man had an old vir extension lead with the inner cores showing. I kept moaning at him to replace it, so come Christmas he got a crate of beers and an extension lead.
Unless you threw away the old lead i bet he kept using it saying something like, its still got a bit of life left in it. Unlike the beers which i bet were consumed immediately

Why is it, extension leads bring out the worst in people.I found someone using a 25 metre extension lead to power a washing machine AND a tumble dryer both about 4 metres from the nearest socket. Needless to say most of it was still wound on the drum.

I advised them of the danger.

Their reply was "I wondered why the lead kept melting and I had to buy another one"

FFS after the first lead melted, they went and bought another of THE SAME TYPE.

Sometimes I think Darwin should be left alone to perform natural selection.
A health & Safety officer from an Agricultural College told me the story of a farmer using a pressure washer plugged into a wound up extension lead. As the lead heated up & started to smoulder the farmer realised it was getting hot so decided to cool it down with the pressure washer... bad day explode

The world would be a safer place if certain people had their opposable thumbs removed...