Would You Say I Was Far Off?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys need some opinions please, priced a re wire on a 3 story building, children's nursery . And have today been told they got someone half my price so thought I would see what you guys think.

They have had a new fuseboard recently 12 way.

I know pricing depends on a lot more detail than I can give but on what to I can tell you I would like your opinions.

they require the following.

30 x 2 gang switched sockets

25 x 1 gang 1 way light switches

4 x 2 gang 2 way light switches

29 x 6" light pendants

2 x cooker switchs and connection plates

5 x switched fuse spurs

2 x 5ft strip lights

approximate cable sizes as not at home now is,

400/500 metres of 2.5mm twin amd earth

400 metres of 1.5mm twin and earth

30 metres of 10mm twin and earth.

30 metres of 3 core and earth

all cables to be chased into walls and all backboxes to be replaced as most got damaged lugs on. Chasing for cable runs to be plastered over.

Works need to be started on a Friday evening after 6pm and work weekend and be in fit state to leave for children on a monday. Then the same again the following week.

there is floorboards from 1st floor but I woud habe to move all furniture and carpets. Ground floor is concrete floor to basement area.

Now if I say quote was in the region of £3500 would you say that was cheap or expensive? I will tell you exact price later when home.

all bonding to gas,water done and meter tails were upgraded when customer had previous spark install consumer unit.

I appreciate your honest opinions

Yeah sockets they only have 1 double in each room except offices and didn't want any more. Ok my actual price was £3,800 and someone has gone in at 2k . Unbelievable to think someone will be willing to do for that price. I thought mine was cheap to be honest

Thanks guys for advice. Just wanted to check I wasnt going mad. I mean even working during the night and weekend is worth extra. And customer adamant I quoted to much even tho other guy apparently quoted like for like.

Bit too cheap I'd say all that chasing & tidying up after unless you have one of them hilti turtle things?

Also you got about £500 worth of cable there!

At least you in for a chance when it goes tits up with the 2k mob.

Yeah is a lot of work and mess. Tidying up alone would take time and by emd of sunday have to leave everything working for week then go back following weekend to finish.

just pisses me of some cowboy will get this and then they are guaranteed to have problems.

Everyones overheads are different......

Only you know your hourly rates are and what you need to earn a living...

If you cannot work out your own costs for a job then you shouldn't be working for yourself....

I always give the customer my best price... 

If they don't like it..

Fine.. Move on to the next quote and don't worry about it...

There will always be someone who is cheaper...

let them do it if that is what the customer wants..

Don't waste time chasing cowboy costs and corner cutting...

More fool the customer thinking they can jobs done on the cheap...

Wonder if full testing will be done??

Special location I do know how much I need to make to run my business which is why I quoted what I did but come off it theres no way someone is actually making anything of 2k after buyingmaterials. Personally I find your assumption I dont know how to price works rather rude

OK,

Ive done a quick fag packet price on this, skts, lights, cable etc, & the ballache factor

£7k

that'd be my price, taking everything as being average.

Thanks again everyone for advice. And feedback at least I know I wasnt overpriced ,if anything to cheap so I can stop thinking bout it and just move onto the next. Thanks again

Just re-read the OP, and looked at the hours, I would be double that for the hours you have to work, plus the chasing and plastering, so circa £9k plus materials TBH.

I thought it was M-F, not F-M!!!

Mind, I would have to sit down and check the labour price before quoting as that is just a guess.

Oh & materials would be cost + 20% end of.

Thanks sidewinder. I wanted to scoob you all for good advice. But just realised limited to scoobs so please all accept my thanks for your time to read and reply to my post. Will for get about it now and just move on. Dont lose many in the year so not to worried just thought I was mad lol

dont worry switch,

i priced a job a while back,

2up 2down old town terrace, hadnt a lot on and thought at least it gets me out of the house for a week, and done 1700,

it was gave to a guy at a grand, HTF he covered his materials is beyond me,  :shakehead

problem is sw,

you get guys carrying stuff home from their day jobs,

then there is the other sort, that just havent a clue,

met a sorry looking fellow come out of the wholesalers once, you know the sort, shiny new van, toolbelt, et al ,

bloke behind the counter had a funny grin and told me this guy had just priced a job for less than the materials were costing  :slap

apparently he'd priced using 'electricfix' and hadnt bothered about back boxes, conduit where needed, clips screws etc etc etc,

FFS, he hadnt even bothered about a consumer unit, :slap :slap :slap

oh , and then there was the VAT to add,,,,,,,,,,  to get enough cable he had took a drawing into the wholesalers to get him to give him everything he needed,,, :slap

thats when it struck him about everything he had forgot,

maybe they should teach business sense and make it a 6week course,,,,,,,,,,   :|

Well I counted that up at 97 "points". I allow 1 hour per point, so even at my probably below average northern hourly rate that's £2500 for labour plus parts.

So you are saying your quoted £3500 and someone else quoted half that, so £1750.

Don't lose sleep over it. you wouldn't want the job at that price, you would be working for nothing. 

Latest posts