Would You Say I Was Far Off?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I counted that up at 97 "points". I allow 1 hour per point, so even at my probably below average northern hourly rate that's £2500 for labour plus parts.

So you are saying your quoted £3500 and someone else quoted half that, so £1750.

Don't lose sleep over it. you wouldn't want the job at that price, you would be working for nothing.
Bloody hell Dave 1 Hour, wired, full chase, boxed, capped, making good, 2nd fixed all in 1 hour !!

Special location I do know how much I need to make to run my business which is why I quoted what I did but come off it theres no way someone is actually making anything of 2k after buyingmaterials. Personally I find your assumption I dont know how to price works rather rude
Not being rude..

Its just a basic principal I think everyone running a business has to know..

AND BE CONFIDENT ABOUT..

i.e.

How much a job will actually cost + how much profit you want to make =  How much you quote/charge the customer...

You say you quoted your price..   Then that is as far as you need to worry.. END OF!

Either you get the job or you don't....

If you dont get the job you have lost NOTHING!

If you get the job but dont make a reasonable profit then that is when you start making a loss!

So as long as your price covers your overheads and some profit then why worry if some plonker thinks they can do a good job with no margins.?

Life is too short to spend time worrying about jobs you haven't got...

Spend your time doing the jobs you have got well and worry about keeping your paying customer happy.

Unless of course you are quoting and rarely getting any jobs..

Or most of your jobs are running at a loss..

Then you DO need to have a re think!

Guinness

I'd be inclined to leave your number with the customer, you may get some remedial work putting the cheap job right.

Me I'd have gone in at £5k - £6k & had some extra bod's on the cheap to do donkey work clearing rooms.

At the end of the day you have got to charge enough to do a decent job finish the job and have a happy customer. If you go in to cheap you won't even make wages and there will be a good chance you will make a loss. You have unsociable hours this will be a bit extra. I will never price jobs without seeing what is involved.

We all under price jobs I have done so often. These days I always allow a lot more time you can guarantee a job like that will take longer because you are working to a timescale. At a guess I would say your price is far to cheap. I would imagine the 2k job will be surface. I hope they are getting a contract together.

well I have been doing this job for the thick end of 40 years1

you were too cheap in the first place!

you can now sleep well safe in the knowledge that you are not losing money.!!!

it is ok being busy and pulling your stump out IF it is worth while!!!!!    however IF you are only turning the money over then you may be better just leaving it.

i hear tales everyday in the wholesalers about Sparks who are double busy doing 10/12 hour days BUT struggling to get the money in OR people bidding them or going bust or not paying the full whack!.......i would not call that busy......just naive

I quickly thought 7k+ so your better off out of it for now. Make sure they have your number now though.  You don't say where it is or how near to your home , ie Central London add another 2k

Who saw The Sun (paper) today, whole page about shortage of skilled tradesmen where plumbers are now back up earning millions along with bricklayers. Apparently there is also a shortage of 'skilled' labourers !!!  Wish they would tell some of my customers this.

Thanks for all replies. I appreciate them all. Like I said not worried as dont lose that many I quote for was just curious to what others thought. And really a rant about probably some unqualified monkey under pricing .

Bloody hell Dave 1 Hour, wired, full chase, boxed, capped, making good, 2nd fixed all in 1 hour !!
99% of houses up here are timber framed and dry lined. I haven't done any wall chasing since I was darn sarf.  If I do come across a house "plastered on the hard" then I usually decline of give a silly high price so I don't get the job.

My point was to illustrate even by my cheap standards the guy that got the job was way way too cheap. If you take into account chasing and plastering over then that makes it even more absurdly cheap.

I'll bet it's all surface trunking?

Yeah sockets they only have 1 double in each room except offices and didn't want any more. Ok my actual price was £3,800 and someone has gone in at 2k . Unbelievable to think someone will be willing to do for that price. I thought mine was cheap to be honest
That's quite a large job, difficult to say really but 4.5K-5K would not be expensive, you said the other bloke has gone in at 2K did they provide a stable for his horse, cause 2K would be a cowboy job

Latest posts