WOW.... just .... WOW

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you encounter a reverse polarity socket!

I must admit that was my first thought too, but then I think the chargers in a lot of vehicles only make use of L1, some can make use of all three, but as you say...  what the control logic would make of being presented with one phase missing and the other two the same phase is anyones guess.

I'd like to think it checks that both are plugged in before connecting them together, but even if it does, if one plug is pulled out can it detect that and disconnect it, I'm sure its possible, but its a lot harder than just doing the first bit which could be done with a couple of relays

I've heard that cars that can utilise a 3ph charge point just have 3 single phase chargers on board,,, and not a single 3 phase charger

I can see a lot of burnt out double sockets if these become popular..

(bit like having the washing machine & tumble drier on the same double socket to me?)

Who's that bod on You-Tube who dismantles electrical gubbins, then does a video of what he finds inside them....

(think he has a Scottish accent?)

Need to send him a link to one of these for a full You-Tube dissection I think.

Guinness
Probably not at £500 a shot he won't !

Well clearly they will not do that as MI will state that two separate sockets are to be used. 
mots just joe public will see that and go — that’s obvious as two plugs won’t go into one socket, now where’s that double adapter!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well clearly they will not do that as MI will state that two separate sockets are to be used. 
mots just joe public will see that and go — that’s obvious as two plugs won’t go into one socket, now where’s that double adapter!! 

Gosh!!    Silly me....

for NOT even thinking that MI's would say please don't do this!!

I am well and truly brought back to reality by Sir Sharpend's superior knowledge of these things!!!

:Salute    :Applaud    Guinness  

But..

what happens if Mr "Just-Bought-An-EV" decides to put BOTH plugs into a bog-standard double plug adaptor,

as they only have a single socket in the front porch nearest the drive??

e.g.   plug em both into this... 

Jobs-A-Goodun!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HomeBerg-Way-Double-Plug-Adaptor/dp/B08MKY8SHK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=double+plg+adaptor&qid=1617402337&sr=8-3

:eek:

:innocent

:shakehead
If you buy a 4 way you could charge both your car and the wifes at the same time though. And probably cook a couple of burgers atop the socket at the same time to boot

Do they do a three plug one for these sockets

image.png

They might be missing a trick if they aren't

Last edited by a moderator: