Zs + RCBO's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark2spark

Reaction score
Further to my other thread, which I don't want to sidetrack from, as the title says here, on the previous thread the kewtech manual says that to do a Zs test you must replace the rcd with an mcb temporarily to stop unwanted tripping... so what do you do when you've got a board full of rcbo's like the 17th would like us to have?

?:|

1: get a newer tester with non-trip

2: add 1x MCB somewhere. rather than constantly swap RCBO for MCB, just move outgoing cable to MCB. RCBO's are only SP, neutral in unswitched, so you can leave connected to RCBO

Well number 1 answer is funny... I bought the Kewtech Multi tester KT61 last January, and it said 17th EDITION COMPLIANT on the box!!

:D

I bought it because I didn't have a rcd tester.

I can feel a law suit coming on...

Did a PIR last week on a board full of RCBO's and nay probs I use a MFT 1553, as pointed out above its a case of get a meter that does the job or swop RCBO for MCB which would become a pain.

Not a big fan of the Kewtech, we did some rcd tests at college two seperate testers wouldnt give readings on trip time on a rcbo, used a Megger on it got a reading no probs.

do it by calculation. link out line & earth and add to Ze.simple really, and loads quicker than swapping loads of circuits over.
Can you elaborate on that Steps ? I just bought a Kewtech 42 because of RCD tripping probs. Found that its OK on "proper" RCDs but trips RCBOs

Deke

Can you elaborate on that Steps ? I just bought a Kewtech 42 because of RCD tripping probs. Found that its OK on "proper" RCDs but trips RCBOsDeke
hi deke, it will probably only trip SP RCBOs, cos it has nothing to balance the neutral on, try it on a DP RCBO and it will probably be fine.

yep, as GH says, do an r1 r2 and add to Ze = Zs

I've got both a Fluke 1652 and a Megger 1552.

The Fluke? - It's a fluke if the damn thing works properly!

Hello Janice where have you been, has corrie been keeping you busy.Batty

:coat
Cruising in the Western Med (I can just about afford it on my Sparky pay).B-)

Even managed to blag my way down to the engine room for an hour. The chief found it hard to believe that a female might know anything about electricity but warmed to his task once he knew I understood what he was saying.

I wonder if the old mariners' saying concerning women and bad luck is still rife?

Latest posts