Purchasing my first MFT, need some advice please;)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky1983

Reaction score
Hello sparks. I'm looking at ordering my first MFT. It's still early days as a 2nd year apprentice, but I'm looking to practice rigging up some circuits in my Dad's garage and test them (sad I know). It's mainly to get familiar to the testing process and to see how the theory proves itself in the field.

I'm fed up waiting to learn this part of my college course and trade, and I want to crack on and learn as feel the pace could be picked up.

As this tester will be a Christmas present for me, via my Dad no real budget has been set, but I still want to avoid rushing into spending unnecessarily high.

After reading several threads on this site and other Electrical forums, I'm either going to get the Fluke 1652 or Kewtech KT64, but have a couple of questions on these.

The following quotes are from the following thread:

Electrician Forum

"Originally with the fluke multi's there was a design fault with the leads - and fluke would replace them free of charge." - DonkeyDong

"I had my leads replaced by fluke. Got proper ones now." - Admin

Basically, if I order a Fluke 1652 of an internet retailer, would I be likely to get the 'original' leads, including weak croc clips where I will have to phone Fluke to get 'proper' ones (Robin?) or would I be getting 'proper' ones in the box?

And if I'm likely to get the original (dodgy?) leads, would I be better off purchasing Kewtech G7 leads/accessories as I've heard good about them?

Could someone tell me if the following Kewtech products are compatible with the Fluke tester?

Kewtech Corporation | ACC016E | G7 Test Leads

Kewtech Corporation | ACC020 | G7 Test Leads

Kewtech Corporation | ACC064SP | G7 Test Leads

Kewtech Corporation | ACC064 | G7 Test Leads

Kewtech Corporation | KAMP13 | Test Leads

Kewtech Corporation | ACCEP5 | Test Leads

I don't think the last two are 'G7 compliant' but would they still be compatible?

Many thanks for anyone's help here, and Merry Christmas to all you!

have a look at the metrel 3101 ... awesome piece of kit.

here

i have an older model metrel might be an idea to buy that off me .

1 year old, just been calibrated. like new. all manuals and discs with it.

looking for 250.( any less and i might as well keep it as a spare)

you may get 1 cheaper on ebay ,, so try there too .

The Metrel looks like it has everything. I suppose the Fluke 1653 has many features aswell but although I haven't been given a budget, I don't want to spend on MFT features that I'm not likely to use. I think the features of the Fluke 1652 and KT64 are spot on for where I'm going to be working.

One of my colleagues has a KT62, which has reported no problems and the other uses a Fluke 1652 which looks great, so I'm only stuck on the leads problem, whether to go for the Fluke and get better leads (Kewtech probably) or go straight for the KT64 which has these leads.

I do want to buy new. Don't want to have any problems with warranty/being a second hand owner etc.

Thanks though.

Can anyone persuade me to go for one of the products over the other? :D Anyone used both?

Thanks again.

if you want new .... fluke everytime. the leads is a small problem ..if there is even a problem .

Thanks John. If I go for this Fluke, I'm going to try out the leads that come with it first, then look for replacements if there is.

It's worth noting that my colleague who has a 1652, has Robin leads in the box, not the ones that seem to come it when new. So maybe there's something in it? I suppose I could ask him if this was to do with any leads problem, but heck it's Christmas.

Have you tried any Kewtech equipment out? If so, how would you rate it to Fluke?

Thanks again.

I was in the wholesalers today talking aboout the fluke leads apparently they are going to be providing better leads shortly. I am a bit p...ed off as the fluke I have which is only about three months old has deffo got a lead problem.

Batty

i looked at the kewtech,we have a distibutor mitchels in worksop and they are selling there last stock off 580 +vat.

had a good look at it, opened the bag had a good feel .... read through the instructions.

looked really cheap, felt cheap so looked towards the metrel... and i dont regret it .. i got it last week and boy oh boy looks the biz.

auto sequence ... auto ring testing........ saves 200+ results to the internal memory....also has built in software to print straight to cert. and they say it can do the same job 5 times faster.

will leet you know in the new year when i am back at work .

17th Edition Compatible - Complete with Lite Software !

All of this Included in the Price !

* Eurotest AT

* Plug Commander 1.5 m Probe

* Test Cable Universal connection 3 x 1.5m

* Power Supply Adapter + batteries

* Test Tips, 3 pcs (Blue, Black, Green)

* Alligator Clips 3 pcs (Blue, Black, Green)

* Soft carrying neck belt

* Carrying Case

* RS232 / PS Cable

* USB Cable

* PC SW Eurolink - Lite software

* Instruction Manual Short

* Instruction Manual on CD

* Handbook - Measurements on electrical Installations on CD

* Declaration of Conformity

* 3 Year Warranty

* Calibration Certificate

The EuroTest AT is an automated robust and lightweight electrical installation tester. Experts from the field as well as electricians and maintenance people have helped design this world class installation tester.

Measuring Functions of the Eurotest AT

* DC Insulation resistance

* PE Conductor Continuity Test

* Line and Loop Resistances with fuse evaluation table built in

* RCD Test with Triplock function

* Phase sequence (3 phase)

* on-line voltage monitor

* 2-wire and 3 wire Earth Resistance test with built in battery operated generator

Other Features of the Metrel Eurotest AT MI3101

* AUTO Sequence - Enhanced test performance patented by Metrel

* Clearly visible information on a big 320x240 backlit screen

* Locator function enables tracing fuses, lines and faults. Precise inductive mode.

* Date and Time, related to each saved result

* Permanent mounted Insulation monitoring devices on IT systems testing. With the ISFL (First Fault Leakage Current Check)

* Online voltage monitor shows voltage levels for L-L, L-N and L-PE during the measurement.

* Fast, reliable and accurate Loop L-PE resistance measurement without RCD tripping.

* Built in Fuse characteristics database for for quick evaluation of meauring results at Line / Loop impedence testing.

* Field Proven Earth resistance measuring method which eliminates stray earth currents during the measurement.

* TN/TT/IT Earthing system support

* Multi Functional Schuko Plug commander for faster execution of a measuring sequence.

* Built In internal memory with professionally organised structure with upto 2000 locations !

* QWERTY keypad for creating names in installations structure.

Software - Included in the Price !

* PC Software Included EuroLink Lite !

* A strong creating tool for producing Test Result reports and Visual Inspection Reports

* (If NICEIC full forms are required see the EuroTest AT Pro)

Dimensions

230 w x 103 h x 115 L - Weight 1.3Kg

Can you believe it? I bought the Fluke 1652 at Christmas and now want to sell it on now the new 1650B series have come out. Does anyone know whether the warranty would be void if I sold it on? I want to put it on eBay but can I sell it as 'new'? It has only been opened once. Thanks for any help here. If only I knew they were bringing out a new version!

the warranty will be with the test kit, you would have to pass the original receipt on though as proof of purchase incase they want to claim.

if you done that, how would fluke ever know its been sold on anywya

Suppose they claimed on the warranty, how would Fluke pay them back? Or would they send them a replacement? The receipt I have is stapled onto an invoice, which has MY address. Do I keep the invoice then, and only pass on the receipt?

Also, I should point out that I purchased this as part of the Fluke Part P kit. Would they have to send back the voltage/continuity and socket tester aswell? Hopefully not.

Suppose they claimed on the warranty, how would Fluke pay them back? Or would they send them a replacement? The receipt I have is stapled onto an invoice, which has MY address. Do I keep the invoice then, and only pass on the receipt?Also, I should point out that I purchased this as part of the Fluke Part P kit. Would they have to send back the voltage/continuity and socket tester aswell? Hopefully not.
providing they have proof of when it was purchased, i think thats all that would be required. for different addresses, you could have your personal address on invoice and not business address.

they would probably only send the faulty part back - no point in sending something else that works

Yes, no point in sending back the faulty part. 1 question though. Is it illegal to sell it on? Or am I wrong?

I'd want Fluke to know as little as possible about me. Once I've sold it I'd want that to be the end of it, if you understand.

Yes, no point in sending back the faulty part. 1 question though. Is it illegal to sell it on? Or am I wrong?I'd want Fluke to know as little as possible about me. Once I've sold it I'd want that to be the end of it, if you understand.
why would it be illegal to sell on?

Fluke have no reason to know much about you. something of their was bought, and is faulty, and someone has proof of purchase for said item. shouldnt be a problem

Yeah, seems about right. Although, I can see selling this item on eBay being a hassle. Someone would want a return's policy and even though I'm sure it's in working condition (it's got to be if I just recently bought it/ I hope), I wouldn't know how to check if a reported defect was there or not there! I haven't done much testing at all, you see. (Cue- why has he bought an MFT then?) I know, I know. It's just that I'm an apprentice.

And would I, get my receipt back? If they returned it, as faulty upon arrival. Could see this being heartache. Maybe my kept invoice could be proof of purchase? There's a Payment Reference which says the payment was made by credit card. Plus, there's an account number and sort code on it. If these were my Dad's details (he'd paid for it), maybe that could cover me? If I claimed on the warranty after having it back as a returned item? Or could I tell them, "Claim on the warranty." Maybe they'd winge that I, sold it to them.

Sorry to bother you, but I just don't know where to start on thisPray

Many thanks though.

Yeah, seems about right. Although, I can see selling this item on eBay being a hassle. Someone would want a return's policy and even though I'm sure it's in working condition (it's got to be if I just recently bought it/ I hope), I wouldn't know how to check if a reported defect was there or not there! I haven't done much testing at all, you see. (Cue- why has he bought an MFT then?) I know, I know. It's just that I'm an apprentice.And would I, get my receipt back? If they returned it, as faulty upon arrival. Could see this being heartache. Maybe my kept invoice could be proof of purchase? There's a Payment Reference which says the payment was made by credit card. Plus, there's an account number and sort code on it. If these were my Dad's details (he'd paid for it), maybe that could cover me? If I claimed on the warranty after having it back as a returned item? Or could I tell them, "Claim on the warranty." Maybe they'd winge that I, sold it to them.

Sorry to bother you, but I just don't know where to start on thisPray

Many thanks though.
nothin wrong with having a test kit as an apprentice...

i had more than just a test kit that as an apprentice...

maybe sell it remaining warranty. give them your details and tell them if there is any problems to contact fluke and you will forward the receipt if req'd?

Sell it 'remaining warranty'? You mean send the warranty with it? And then send the receipt if they require it? An idea, I suppose. But that might put off the potential buyer. I wonder. Maybe I don't need to mention a receipt not being included, and should just deal with the problem if and when it happened. I have seen this item for sale on e-Bay but the cheapest for sale don't seem to have a Calibration certificate included. Maybe that might work in my favour:)

just advertise it 'with remaining warranty until xxx date'. stick a note in with test kit with your details on and say if they need proof of purchase for any warranty to contact you and you will forward the receipt to them

Seriously what can the new model do that your's cant? Why not keep the one you've got and get good at testing with it.

If you sell it on you will loose money.

I can't see why you'd want to do that unless you have substantial personal wealth!

Save your money and buy some nice screwdrivers :)