Problem With Hotpoint Uh53K Oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpmedisappear

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an intermitant fault with the main oven in my Hotpoint UH53K.

I can turn the main oven on which then gets up to temperature so the thermastat turns the element off (i hear the thermostat click and the light on the control knob goes out to say its got to temperature). After a while the thermostat clicks on again as if its heating the oven, but its not...at all! Its like the element never comes back on again. If i turn the temperature knob back down and then back up again it sometimes kicks the element back on again, otherwise i have to turn it off and on again and it will then get back up to temperature.

This doesnt happen all of the time. It is an intermitant fault! Hotpoint have even been out to the oven and cannot replicate the fault.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. If a Hotpoint technician is unable to identify the cause or offer any suggestions after physically seeing the appliance, it is unlikely that anyone on an Internet forum will be able to offer much more advice other than, start replacing components as a process of elimination, or live with the problem or buy a new oven. Lets hope I am wrong and someone will have a flash of inspiration.

Doc H.

Thanks for your reply doc.

To be honest the Hotpoint engineers are pretty rubbish. They put a probe inside the oven, do 3 cycles of heating up and and then declare there is no fault. The oven is only 3 months old and still in warranty. I have now given up on them as they say if they come out again and get the same results they will charge me £110 call out fee?! Mental. So i am now going to try and fix the thing myself.

Thanks for your reply kerching.

I have spoken to Currys and Hotpoint many times about this and they both say the same thing. If the engineer cant find a fault then tough.

I have now spoken to my credit card company who will look into it but can take up to 6 weeks to do so.

I am still open to advise about fixing it myself if anyone has any ideas!

I looked at a similar fault on someone I knows oven,,, can't remember the make I'm afraid...

What was happening was that the oven element would turn off intermittently,,,the cooling fan would remain on. All I could find was a dodgy switching contact on the main switch,,, I moved the offending cable to another platter and it seemed to work fine,, well it must have as I've not been called back yet ;)

Thanks for your reply kerching.

I have spoken to Currys and Hotpoint many times about this and they both say the same thing. If the engineer cant find a fault then tough.

I have now spoken to my credit card company who will look into it but can take up to 6 weeks to do so.

I am still open to advise about fixing it myself if anyone has any ideas!

Sale of goods act 1979

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/consumer/sales_of_goods/after_you_buy/22216.html

Intermittent fault?????

Are you of the opinion that the oven was faulty when you purchased it???

if yes AND it is less than 3 months old ..

Then it is the traders responsibility to prove the fault NOT yours!!!

if it is over 6 moths old it is your responsibility to prove it was faulty..

Your contract is with the trader (Currys) NOT the manufacture (Hotpoint)

If it is less than 6 months old I would get back to the store that you purchased it from ASAP...

Write a letter to the manager of the store giving a few dates when the oven failed while you were using it..

State that you require a replacement/refund under the sale of goods act 1979 

as you consider the item he sold to you was not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality...

Wait in the store until you see him/her personally...

and get a written confirmation of their proposed timescale to resolve this issue to your satisfaction...

If they cannot do this tell him/her you will be going to your local trading standard to pursue the matter further..

Guinness

Have you actually put a temperature gauge in the oven and looked at it dropping, if yes film it with your phone or whatever.

They are of the opinion that after checking it each time they cannot replicate your fault.

I had a PC power supply that kept switching off at random, sent it back for replacement, they returned the same one back to me saying no fault found during test. It was only after I took photo's of LED display and that it was switched on that they replaced it.

Last edited by a moderator: