Wiring A 3 Pin Uk Plug To A Fluorescent Batten Light Fitting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeGood

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how I would go about, and what I would need to wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting. I am putting the light on a stand and will be using it portably plugging it into mains wall sockets.

The ceiling fitting is a T8 eco batten twin HF 58W by Saxyby.

I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics, so will probably need even the most basic things explained to me.

All I know is that I'm guessing I will need some mains cable and a plug. As for any what type of mains cable, or any other materials or tools I might need, I have no idea. 

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards

Johnny

3 core 1mm flex. 3 amp fuse in the plug. And you need a 20mm stuffing gland where the cable exits the batten so it does not chaffe the cable on the otherwise sharp edges.

Hi ProDave,

Okay so could you check I've selected the right items... (I can't post links yet as I haven't met the forum requirements so will just write the names of the products with their specs)

Flex Cable 3183Y Per Meter 1mm 3 core
  • Construction: Plain annealed copper conductor, PVC insulated two core twisted together and PVC sheathed.
  • Current Rating : 10 Amps
  • Standards: Certified to BS6500, 4.0mm² to BS7919, CENELEC HD21.5, VDE 281
  • Conductor: Class 5 flexible plain copper conductors to BS EN 60228:2005 (previously BS6360)
  • Standard Colours: Cores - Blue & Brown / Sheath - White & Black
  • Voltage Rating: 300/500 Volts
  • Temperature Rating: 0°C to +60°C

Is the amperage okay? and all the other specs?

3AMP FUSE PLUGProduct Code: 710038

• Maximum Rating: 3:00 AM
  • Length: 51 mm
  • Width: 50 mm
  • Height: 43 mm
  • Years Guaranteed: 1 yr
  • Connector Type: Fused Plug
  • Material: Polypropylene
  • Colour: White
  • Standards Met: BS 1363
This 3 amp plug conforms to the latest standards for plugs of BS1363 and is also fitted with a BS1362 fuse.

---

Dome top 20mm stuffing gland

Thread Diameter 20mm Thread Depth 10mm Cable Diameter 6.0mm to 13.0mm Spanner Width 24mm Total Length 41-50mm IP Rating IP 69k; IP 68 to 0,6 bar Cable Gland Material Polyamide Gasket Material EPDM Membrane ePTFE Temperature Range -40°C to 100°C, intermittent up to approx. 120°C
Thanks for your help ProDave.

So if all these parts are correct, I basically just wire the plug to the 3 core flex, and then link the flex cable's live neutral and grounds wires with those coming out of the ballast? 

Do you recommend any particular way of linking the flex cable cores to the ballast's wires?

Thanks for your help.

Make SURE you get 3 core flex. the description you cut and pasted there was only a 2 core flex.

Otherwise looks okay.

You shouldn't be connecting directly to any bare wires in the lamp fitting.  Somewhere there will be a terminal block with either screw terminals or push fit terminals to take your cable. It might be under a little plastic cover so might not be immediately obvious. The terminals will be clearly marked L N and E or an earth symbol.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking that over. I didn't notice that the description detailed a 2 core - it must be a mistake on the site. Thanks for seeing that.

That's great if I don't have to join wires, but rather just link the flex cable to a terminals block in the fitting.

Everything should be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well.

Just for my piece of mind, I've done little more than wire a plug before in terms of electrical experience, but this seems a pretty simple job, would I be correct to assume?

Thanks Dave

Make sure when you unplug said fitting that you do NOT put your fingers across the L and N pins of the plug.

If the fitting contains a capacitor then the ensuing capacitor discharge across you fingers can seriously spoil a good day

Touch the pins of the PLUG onto a bit of metal to short them out,

Just advising
Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice, really appreciate it. might have saved me from a nasty accident! :)

should this be a pretty simple enough thing to do? it's little more than wiring  a plug really, as far as I can see with my inexperienced eye. The only difference is is that I'm wiring the other end of the cable to the ballast in the fitting...

Thanks for your assistance