Newbie Help - Hardwiring A Cooker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihcis

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question.

Would be grateful for some help in hardwiring a cooker, Zanussi ZCV621MW with a double oven.

The back terminal board looks like this:

CGdc7RQ.jpg

And the mains connection in the box looks like this:

e3LMRyr.jpg

The manual recommends the cable of 6mm2 and provides a scheme like this:

awKl6U5.jpg

I am total newbie in this, so not even sure what kind of cable do I need. Is it Twin & Earth and do I need to then need to split Live into two and Neutral into three as shown?

I am also guessing I need to replace the mains box for a proper junction box, otherwise the cable can't come out nicely?

I realize it would be better to get an electrician to do it, but I got quoted £40 by two guys each for a few minute job because they charge for at least 1 hour when called out. And since I am on a tight budget, I am set to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Use the type of cable recommended in the manual to connect the two items together...

It's usually something like H07RNF,,,, but you'd have to read the manual to be sure.... Get 3m, it'll make it easier in the future.

I assume that the wall plate has a cover that you've removed for the photo

you know what,

by the time you buy some cable,

a new screw and link,

a  new faceplate/outlet point etc,

paying a spark £40 wont seem so expensive after all,

and, it will be tested to ensure your earthing etc is within parameters.

would you think twice about paying a gasman £40 to connect a gas cooker?

The left hand neutral link is actually redundant as there are no connections from the left most neutral terminal. So you could use the screw from the left most N terminal and the left most N link to replace the missing L link and screw.

There's nothing wrong with that outlet terminal plate as long as you have the matching cover that came with it that will have the cable cut out (I think I see it sitting on top of the box?)

And as already said some earth sleeving on the earth in the connection plate. 

I realize it would be better to get an electrician to do it, but I got quoted £40 by two guys each for a few minute job because they charge for at least 1 hour when called out. And since I am on a tight budget, I am set to do it myself.
Cookers and electric showers are the two highest power items in a typical domestic installtion..

As such they have a greater risk of causing overheating of joints, cables etc..

When I reconnect any cookers I will test the existing cable first to verify it has not been damaged by whatever was connected there before..

By the time an electrician has traveled from wherever they are based, supplied and fitted the correct cable and tested the amended wiring, verifying correct fusing for the cables etc.. 

He will almost certainly have lost 1hour of his/her time that they could have been earning elsewhere.

£40 is a very reasonable price!

(unless of course they live next door and you have supplied and prepared the cable ends for him and tested the existing wiring?)

To suggest it is just a couple of minutes work is more like comparing a £40 charge to swap  a light switch.

DIY swapping of light switches or sockets is very different to connecting a cooker..

On a safety level I personally I would not recommend you do it yourself based on you own declared naivety and inexperience..

If you still have to ask how to connect it when your post already shows the wiring diagram

then there is no point us adding a picture such as below to tell you where to connect the wires!

cooker connections.JPG

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget to fit the stability bracket, you don't want the cooker to tip over when you pull out the turkey to baste it.

£40 is worth it to get the job done right, just pay it, it is a good price.

You could try and do it yourself but I would not advise it, you would probably end up paying close to that anyway for the parts.  As mentioned above the spark will test it, use the right gear and connect it up correctly.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The two £40 quotes I got were for labour only, so if the parts/cables cost close to that, then the total price would be close to £80 which is almost as much as I paid for the cooker itself as I bought it used from Gumtree...

Use the type of cable recommended in the manual to connect the two items together...

It's usually something like H07RNF,,,, but you'd have to read the manual to be sure....
The manual (which is here) actually doesn't provide many details about the cable, other than the recommended cross-section area is 6 mm2. So is the Twin&Earth cable such as this the right type of cable? And do I have to split the ends to connect to the two N & L screws on the terminal board? Or is it sufficient to connect N & L to just one screw because they would be linked on the terminal board anyway?

There's nothing wrong with that outlet terminal plate as long as you have the matching cover that came with it that will have the cable cut out (I think I see it sitting on top of the box?)
Yes, there is a blank plate but without the cable cut out. But I guess I can make the cut out in it myself.

Also the cover for the terminal board is missing, and I can't find a spare for sale anywhere. Would it be a good idea to at least tape it over with an electrical insulation tape?

It looks that way....cooker is "not new".......from gumtree.

Prob explains why some parts are missing
I never said the cooker was new.  If I could afford a new one it would have been connected and installed by the delivery man.

I never said the cooker was new.  If I could afford a new one it would have been connected and installed by the delivery man.
I was actually clarifying the point to Noz....that is why I used the quote function

I never said that you implied it was new...as you clearly stated it is from Gumtree

I put "not new" as some items from Gumtree can be second, third or even fourth hand

Just clarifying

Look,

"Or is it sufficient to connect N & L to just one screw because they would be linked on the terminal board anyway?"

They are most certainly NOT linked on the terminal board, and you do that and there will be a big bang and flash sufficient to make you poo your pants.

No-one on here is going to walk you through it, because, much as we would HONESTLY like to help, [if i lived near to you i would do it for you just to be helpful] if you hurt yourself, your insurers, [life or otherwise] would probably sue us.....

Oh, and you NEED the terminal cover.... Go back where you got it and ask them for it....

john...

Last edited by a moderator: