JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Certification Software?

merics25

merics25

Hi,

I've put up with the Napit Windows '95 software for as long as I can stomach now.. (running on an old imac in W'Vista)

My main computer is a macbook, but I'm running bootcamp, so also have windows 8.1.

I don't have an iPad currently (nor iPhone) but I do like the look of the 'iCert' software.. 

Can anyone recommend one? - EasyCert? Castline software? etc...

Which company offers good support? Up-to-date certificates?

Sorry if this has been asked before - if so - could someone point me to the previous topic replies...

Cheers,

Mike.

Sidewinder

Try the tysoft software?

Our forum sponsor.

I can't recommend any because I don't use any, sorry!

Phoenix

We use Castline formfill

It has some issues and sometimes support tickets take a while to be used, however it is functional, produces nice enough looking certs, was updated to amd 3 in good time (about feb) and the bugs in it can be lived with.

Don't like amtech fast test.. despite its name its awkward and time consuming to use

Sidewinder

Decided that I am going to keep a close eye on this thread.

With AMD3 coming in on the 1st July, then I either need to buy new cert books, or go electronic.

I have a couple of clients that "like" the NICEIC certs.

I have tried their online system,and found it a real struggle.

Last time I tried it, it would not let me do something, so I gave up!

NozSpark

Have you looked at the iCertifi app for the iPad?

I used it before I gave my iPad to my daughter and although it was limited in the certs that I could do it was quite straight forward.....

That was 2 years ago mind so things have probably changed by now

kerching

I have used Amtech for years

It is ok....it has its faults. They are always very slow with the updates. Every time it gets updated at one end something falls off the other end. Never yet had an update work first time

NIC software....i was involved in some pre pre release testing AND some Beta testing. Most of my comments were ignored. There were glaringly obvious errors in the released version.....i contacted them and was ignored again. I did not even bother looking at it after that............BUT that was a couple of years ago at least....maybe 3?

So i may give it another try and save some money by potting Amtech....but this has its own 'issues'. Eg.....say I pot Amtech, a couple of years time i need to print off a copy cert.....I can almost guarantee that I will not be able to do this and their "support" division will not help me as i have not paid there "support" fees

Not a lot of help, i know. But just what I feel and thought it better to share

Sidewinder

Kerch,

Not looked at nor going to look at the NIC software as I think it is a mature product that will be end of line shortly.

The "new" system is web based on line, sound familiar?

It's almost as bad as you know what!

Sidewinder

Looking now.

To get EIC (20), EICR (20), MWC (50), & schedules continuations sheets (50) from the NIC in NCR handwritten format is about £61.00 (just below) including shipping.

The NIC software is £281 ish, just shy, EIC & EICR "numbers" are just short of £10 for 25 for each of these, for MWC they are just over £7 for 50, plus £80 for the annual updates to enable the iPad app it seems.

Tysoft, with the mobile option is just under £225, then there is the Forum discount on that, and the annual updates are just under £60.

So, any EasyCert users able to show us what one of the easy cert native certs looks like?

My customer who likes the NICEIC certs is not because they want the NICEIC bit, it is because of the extra detail that these certs capture over the model form.

So, if the EasyCert native forms capture the same level of detail, then sorted, I might give the free trial a go if it looks promising.

binky

Easycert is good, with good back-up if needed. Certs are as detailed as any NICEIC ones

kerching

Kerch,

Not looked at nor going to look at the NIC software as I think it is a mature product that will be end of line shortly.

Ah!

I did not actually mean the "software" but the WEB based system for online Certifying and notification!

I had forgotten all about it he "software" that had to be purchased....was it by clicksoft or some such name?

With my history of online web based software I think I should really know better by now!

Still having issues

I can now login via Chrome BUT then get told i do not have enough browser space....then [ object OBJECT ]

On Safari i cannot get past the Login tab

I,await 0900 h tomorrow with eager anticipation/trepidation

WTF am i doing wrong...or is it NOT just me?

I cannot be the only one, surely?....there again I do have a piece of paper that says I am 1:1,500,000,000 and NOT in a good way

Sidewinder

Kerch,

THE online package is carp.

The NICEIC online certification is not much better.

It is VERY powerful, but also very complex to use.

Murdoch

My only view is don't bother with any "cloud" solution - you need a laptop or tablet solution.

I use PIRform which is easy to use.

Most have a "downloadable" demo version I think

Blue Duck

Kerch,

I swear this can't be a coincidence? I was having issues with NIC online about the same time kerching was saying he couldn't get into his favourite software (not RR.com).

:)

Sidewinder

My only view is don't bother with any "cloud" solution - you need a laptop or tablet solution.

I use PIRform which is easy to use.

Most have a "downloadable" demo version I think

My tendency exactly Mudoch, I've spend £k's setting up our own personal cloud to avoid the likes of "Dropbox".

I am reluctant to go down that road, but, I want an integrated solution that links the certs on the mobile device with those on the office pc, even if that does not sync until I am back in the office, that would be OK.

However, with our own cloud, I don't see why this could not happen across 3/4G or an external wi-fi connection.

kerching

So the software is cloud based

In the winter the weather is shi'ite

When this happens there is a lot of cloud

Software still,does not work

In the summer the weather is better

Less clouds

I Presume the software will then be even worse if we cannot see any clouds?...may not even work at all

Just thinking

Steve3948

I have used Amtech for years

It is ok....it has its faults. They are always very slow with the updates. Every time it gets updated at one end something falls off the other end. Never yet had an update work first time

NIC software....i was involved in some pre pre release testing AND some Beta testing. Most of my comments were ignored. There were glaringly obvious errors in the released version.....i contacted them and was ignored again. I did not even bother looking at it after that............BUT that was a couple of years ago at least....maybe 3?

So i may give it another try and save some money by potting Amtech....but this has its own 'issues'. Eg.....say I pot Amtech, a couple of years time i need to print off a copy cert.....I can almost guarantee that I will not be able to do this and their "support" division will not help me as i have not paid there "support" fees

Not a lot of help, i know. But just what I feel and thought it better to share

I ditched Amtech about 4 years ago, but still access all the old certs no problem.

I did build a new PC and had to contact them about validation which got sorted even though I'm no longer with them.

I them moved onto the NIC Click Software which I ditched when the free web version became available.

I still use and access the Software for looking back and printing copies.

So now I'm using the NIC Web version, it's easy after a few certificates and if required it links for Part P.

Not found many issues other than in circuits I used 0 first line as sub-feed if relevant but cannot do this.

Phoned it in and they said they were aware of this and it would be available soon, not checked for a couple of weeks.

Sidewinder

Steve,

Please.

What was the learning curve like for the online?

I HATE it when software doesn't just work!

One of my pet hates.

I was never allowed to release software unless it did everything it was supposed to.

NozSpark

I've found that you can't add sub dbs,,,, you have to add a circuit and then convert it to a db.

It's a right royal convoluted PITA IMHO,,, that's why I'm considering going paper, however that's going to cost ITRO £100 for the first set of certs

Sidewinder

Noz,

What is a right PITA please?

Blue Duck

I was never allowed to release software unless it did everything it was supposed to.

38 page EULA's ensure that if the software is utter codswallop then you don't have a leg to stand on.

I believe it is the gaming industry that started this but gamers won't stand for it so why should we?

;)

I downloaded icertify, looks great but I hear its hard to amend forms.

I'll stick to the NIC pads for now.

:)

NozSpark

I've just done that PIR we briefly discussed,,, it felt like I went through 30 or 40 pages to fill out what ended up being a 17page report... Wife said it took me over 2 hours :o

Steve3948

It does get quicker honest.

When you first generate boards Noz, you can generate as many as you want.

Sidewinder.

The most complicated bit is generating the boards, but after few it's not too bad.

There are drop boxes for options which after you get the hang of it seems straight forward.

Once you start a certificate you cannot delete it, even if its void, it just stays on the system, same if you add a user you cannot delete them.

Its £1.50 for cert and £1.50 for notification if required.

You can print it or email it or both, and access it whenever you need to.

I was a big fan of Amtech which was originally Robin's, but the cost each year was getting out of hand.

Clicks was £80 per year which included updates and new versions.

I like to complete when in the office so the Web version is ok for me.

Sidewinder

Duck,

The issue was if I mucked up my software it did one of the following:

1. Killed someone, plus downtime, see below

2. Maimed or injured someone, plus downtime, see below

3. Damaged the machine causing £k's of downtime per minute plus repair costs, plus downtime, see below

4. Stopped the production line causing £k's of downtime per minute.

The back charge for stopping the line was >£200k per hour back in 1997!

So bring that forward 18 years...

Sidewinder

If I go down the cloud route, then I'll have to get a data protection & security statement from the NIECIE first.

Not keen on a public cloud system TBH.

I prefer to complete in the office, but I want to be able to capture data straight into the system perhaps.

At the moment, I used draft hand written forms, capture the data on site.

Back to the office, depending on the job sometimes I scan the forms or part of them into the computer.

Then I write up draft copies.

The drafts are then written up onto NCR forms by Mrs SW, I then check them sign & them.

They are then scanned again, and the pdf made up with the rears and sent to the customer.

A LOT of work, but, I can't write them up in one hit, I've tried!

NozSpark

I've just completed an EIC for a shower cu change and notification....took me 15 mins for the 1 cu and 1 circuit

and I selected the option for them to snail mail a printed copy,,, cost an extra £1.50 but my customer doesn't do email

Archived