Lets stand together!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets all on this forum send emails out to b&q, wickes etc and see if anything happens.

All send somthing similar, how many people are members on here??? If we all send 1 email you never no

?:| ? :|

Lets all on this forum send emails out to b&q, wickes etc and see if anything happens.All send somthing similar, how many people are members on here??? If we all send 1 email you never no

?:| ? :|
They are not interested in what you have to say. They are like Tescos its all about profit for shareholders they don't give a stuff about safety.

Batty

Me and my lovely Mrs M went into B&Q today for some plants as you do. Whilst Mrs M busied herself choosing her plants I went off for a wander as you do. I walked down the electrical isle, and was amazed at how much stuff they had ranging from jbs to sockets, t&e, conduit,trunking, capping, clips, etc etc etc etc! So how can you enforce the current part p if Joe Bloggs can walk into B&Q, pick up his sockets and cable, call at his customer, throw it in for cash, walk away laughing. His customer is happy as she has had her work done for a few quid less than a "proper spark". Its a difficult dilemma.
I asked my labc guy about the diyers........

he said its his house,if he wants to burn it down or kill himself thats his business......its the guys charging for the work and not doing the job properly who are the issue....

and thats it in a nutshell

I asked my labc guy about the diyers........he said its his house,if he wants to burn it down or kill himself thats his business......its the guys charging for the work and not doing the job properly who are the issue....

and thats it in a nutshell
You are correct on that, I have tested for my local bc and they will not prosecute unless I find anything dangerous.

I once found a job that was done by a person who was registered on a part p scheme I found 13 infringements two of the main ones where cables run in notches across the top of joists, and cables run on a 45 degree angle without mechenical protection, others where no grommets,no cable identification, loose bonding clamp etc.

The labc did not prosecute because essentialy the installation was safe.

I spoke to his scheme provider but they showed little interest.

However the owner of the property requested it was rewired properly, I gave him the details of another electrician in my area as I could have a vested interest or conflict of interest.

The other electrician ripped everything out and started from scratch.

GH, in the whole I totally agree with you,

but it the way the whole system is run that is IMHO the problem,

Im currently in the middle of re-wiring my own house at the mo, room by room as I go along,

kitchen is currently done, with cables left below floors/above ceiling voids etc for rest of house.

NO certs issued for kitchen (special location)

and there never will be any certs issued for my house,

myself personally am no longer registered to any scheme, the firm I am QS for is NICEIC,

so, I will when I am finished simply fill in a non registered periodic and sign it as a competent person.

wonder if my insurance company will pay out?????

the "new" colours as such have been available and legal to use in the UK for much longer than part P has been in force.

but, the whole crux of the problem is i educating the customer in what part P means, and if that is by scaring them with an insurance claim then so be it,

everyone knows about corgi (tho Im not so sure about gas safe!)

short answer, I agree with you, :D

I agree and understand.

The main problem is education of the general public.

There is no law against any one doing any kind of electrical work providing it is carried out to the current regulations.

This however is not the case with gas, and the majority of the public are aware of this.

I would hope that some time in the future electrical installations would be concidered in the same manner.

What worried me is an electrical engineer installed a cu in a shed fed from a 10mm swa from a pme and thought I was talking rubbish when I told him how dangerous this could be.

I refused to rewire his house with this installed and he got some other part p spark to do it!

Trading standards are introducing a safe trader scheme this year which I hope will go some way to inform the general public of the importance of the regulations but will have to wait and see.

going back to what someone said about you can buy everything in b&q and do it yourself. is the main reason the public are not knowing about how dangerous installations can be when done wrong while it was shoved in their face with not being able to buy gas fittings when they stopped selling to the public yrs ago.

going back to what someone said about you can buy everything in b&q and do it yourself. is the main reason the public are not knowing about how dangerous installations can be when done wrong while it was shoved in their face with not being able to buy gas fittings when they stopped selling to the public yrs ago.
Gas fittings are freely available

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9270508&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d&fh_search=gas&fh_refview=search&ts=1241382901243&isSearch=false

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Taps+Valves/Gas-Socket-for-Bayonet-Hose/invt/421632

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14904/Plumbing/Gas-Fittings/Bayonet-Elbow

:|

SF do say you should be gas safe to install it though but if you are stupid enough to install one and not be a gas safe and blow your windows out you probably would deserve it.Batty
aye - but my point was I can buy one...

;)

Very true, you can also buy all sorts of stuff on the streets and that does not make it right either.
I know, Batts!

I'm not trying to argue with you

beer?

Guiness Drink

wine?

:Y

spam?

:Spam

pie?

crbvcurbvubruvbruvb (love the shortcut admin ;) )

Sorry to be blunt but after reading everyones post's on this subject and the uk being in the depths of a recession with many domestic customers out of work and the ones who do have a little money chasing the cheapest quotes i do not think people are bothered if they have part p or not. Its all down to cost! Trouble is the general public dont know a good job from a bad job.

Sorry to be blunt but after reading everyones post's on this subject and the uk being in the depths of a recession with many domestic customers out of work and the ones who do have a little money chasing the cheapest quotes i do not think people are bothered if they have part p or not. Its all down to cost! Trouble is the general public dont know a good job from a bad job.
They will if it goes wrong.

Batty

They will if it goes wrong.Batty
trouble is batty bad jobs rarely go wrong if you get me.

not fundamental stuff like lose connections but say running a cable not in prescribed zones,no bonding,wrong cable type/size.

tims dead right

DC wants a socket installed or moved. sparks price to a ticketed price will be hugely different whats the DC gonna do?

Latest posts