DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Help Needed

Zeroboy

Question

I am in the process of changing a calling rose which had 3 set of cables coming to it , the new fitting has only got live, Earth and neutral , I have tried once and managed to get the light to stay on , which I think is caused by wrongly wiring ,

4 answers to this question

Oh dear! Did you take a picture of the connections prior to taking the ceiling rose down? Always a good idea for reference.

Have you a multimeter?

typical DIYer, jump straight in ripping down old and bodging wiring into new.

you need a multimeter to identify wiring, and if youve guessed and hoped for the best, chances are the light switch is also in need of replacement

To help you unravel it, was the last electrician nice and put a bit or red sleeving on one of the black wires (or brown sleeving on a blue wire if it's modern)?

I am in the process of changing a calling rose which had 3 set of cables coming to it , the new fitting has only got live, Earth and neutral , I have tried once and managed to get the light to stay on , which I think is caused by wrongly wiring ,

We need to know what cable colours you have got... (in 2005 fixed wiring colours changed in the uk)

The probable options you have are:-

(IGNORING THE BARE or YELLOW/GREEN EARTH WIRES FOR THE MOMENT...)

One cable is the supply from the fusebox (or previous light in circuit) coloured :  "Red & Black" or "Brown & Blue"   [ Live and Neutral ]

One cable is from the switch, coloured either : "Red & Black" or "Red & Red" or "Brown & Blue" or "Brown & Brown"  [ Live and Switched live ]

The third cable is to the next light in the circuit coloured :  "Red & Black" or "Brown & Blue"   [ Live and Neutral ]

The three Lives need connecting together BUT NOT to the light!

The Switched Live needs to go to the Live of the new light.

The two Neutrals need to be joined together and to the Neutral at new light..

The three remaining earths need to be joined together and to the new light..

(unless the switch controls two lights together in which case the live of the third cable goes to the switched live not permanent live!)

You will probably need some larger connectors and maybe a bit of spare wire...

as most modern lights do not have big enough connectors for more than one cable!!!!

Guinness

Archived