DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Diverter Valve?

Hi all,

I took the radiator in my bathroom off the wall to tile and lay a new floor. The radiator is still off, however I noticed today that when I operate the hot tap, the radiator flow pipe let's out air and a little water??

Any ideas?

NozSpark

Is it 2 x lock sheilds or a thermostatic and lockshield?

it's actually a towel rail and both sides turn. That was bloody quick by the way.

Sharpend

What type of boiler? Combi or standard?

worcester bosch greenstar 30cdi combi

Sharpend

What type of plumbing plastic or copper?

the majority is plastic

NozSpark

Well..... My guess is that the system is actually sucking in air and letting a slight bit of water out once it stops sucking.

A plumber mate of mine always blanks off radiator valves when any radiators are removed

so if I put the radiator back on and fill the system, do you think it will be okay? obviously balancing the system.

Sharpend

I would suggest that the valve has not closed fully, and when cold and not under pressure the water does not leak, but when the boiler fires up for the hot water it is causing an expansion of the system water which causes the water to seep from the valve, in theory this shouldn't happen due to the diverter valve within boiler but theory and reality are two different animals.

It may be an early sign that the boiler valve is wearing, at this stage I'd say nothing to worry about. I'd check once radiator is back on the wall and filled, to see if the flow pipe warms any when using hot water, it would be more noticeable as radiator valve will be in open position. Likely hood it probably won't as pressure may not be sufficient to make any noticeable difference.

Pleae note I am not a heating engineer by any means so only following simple logic! Please do report any findings back for future reference.

I'll give it a go.

Archived