Solar PV sharing RCD with other circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
What would you code a solar PV sharing a RCD with other circuits ?

I just did a eicr and noticed this, so I  mentioned it to the customer and explained that the .4 disconnection may not be meet because of the PV.He was not having any of it and saying it must be OK because it was done professionally and asked what reg it did not comply with.I couldn't think of one and said in my opinion it was poor practice. I also test the RCD and the PV shut down in 35ms.

does not comply. 712.411.3.2.1.1

id go with C2. circuit could remain energised for 5s longer than the max disconnection time

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy 

That is what I thought and I don't install PV and the customer wanted a reg and I started to doubt myself

I locked one off like this a few weeks ago after rewiring a shower circuit as o could not guarantee the 0.4s disconnection time... Thankfully the customer was really understanding and asked me to fix it.

To be fair he did also say that he felt that they chucked it in as quick as they could just before the fit cut off from the original higher rate