What is the most suitable security camera system for my needs?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcat

Reaction score
Hey,
What is the most suitable security camera system for my needs?

I'm in the UK.

Within 8 years I have had four known break-in attempts, one of which was successful.
I live in a ground floor flat with a front door, a back door & 3 large windows in the living room, kitchen & bedroom.
I wish to: monitor each window & door.
See who is at the door.
Be notified on my phone when activity is detected
I want the system to be low-maintenance. 
I live 10 metres from an A road.
The distance from my door & window to the gate at the front is 2 metres.
The distance from my door & window to the gate at the back is 3-4 metres.

IP cameras?
CCTV cameras?

Thanks

Yes, any of those.

Quite a subjective question, some people will be happy with any old rubbish, some people will be disappointed with a decent camera.

I'd start with an alarm (monitored), then maybe stick some cameras up.

+1 to the alarm first. decent alarm, install shock sensors on doors / windows too. you can also install diallers to call you / someone else if there is a problem

what you want is a rather large list. you can get IP camera kits (far better quality than analogue), but just about all cameras are fairly poor at night compared to day. probably get reasonable results with decent cameras though but still...

one other thing with the cameras, you would need a method to set it so that it doesnt alert you when it detects movement when its you and your at home... far easier leaving that job to an alarm

you can get IP camera kits (far better quality than analogue)

Not as such no. In general an IP camera will be higher resolution than an analogue camera but a cheap IP camera is not necessarily better than a decent analogue camera so be careful with large sweeping statements like that.

As we can't see your premises, and there are many cameras out there, its not just a case of "what is best for me? oh this one one here is the best one for you, each installation is different. Why not call in an alarm company who also deal with CCTV, explain to them exactly what you want to see and let them worry about it. As you see there is differing opinions already.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to think what it is you are wanting to achieve with your cameras...

e.g.  just to deter someone from coming on you premises...   if so a dummy camera may work?

or

have some evidence to identify someone who has broken in, so that you can prosecute...

I suspect if you are looking for option 2 you may be a bit disappointed at the lack of clarity validity and acceptance your potential filming may have with local police etc..

Traditionally with analogue cameras, black and white can give better clarity of the image in low light..

But you lack things like the colour of clothes worn to assist with identifying someone.

Whereas colour cameras give more detail to help identify someone but they need better light levels to work to a satisfactory standard,...

e.g. you probably need additional floodlight triggered by movement to help a colour camera.

not sure if this is still true with IP cameras???

I assume so....

be interesting to hear others thoughts?

:popcorn

I wouldn't recommend PIR operated flood lights and cameras, by the time the PIR activates the light and then the camera has changed back to colour the person will have moved out of view. Solve the problem by having LED floodlights on all the time

install floodlights and put up signs saying 'Covert CCTV'. Basic alarm kit would be useful. It's more about looking protected to deter the thieves in the first place.

Something like a texacom alarm with notifications to your smart phone, and a small CCTV again linked to smart phone. The texacom will send you an alert in seconds, you can then click onto your cctv and verify nasty people are around and call the police and tell them burglary in progress, keep watching them on your phone until police arrive.

I have installed these and can vouch for their stability. Let me know if you want specific product details, Its not quite plug and play but if you are handy with computers and the internet its just about doable for DIY.