Synology cameras

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you who have a Synology NAS have camera's connected to them and what works, I'm looking for external PoE camera's that are known to work with the Synology app, those listed on the Synology site are horrendously expensive.

The ones listed on the Synology site are just the ones tested and guaranteed to work. I have several random no-name cheap Chinese IP cameras working fine on mine (more of an experiment than anything). It should work with pretty much anything that is ONVIF compatible. If I was recommending cameras I would say stick to something branded, Samsung and HikVision are the 2 main brands I would usually fit and have no problems with.

Don't touch anything by Videcon, of Heckmondwycke! we fitted a load of their gear just before Christmas and the software is garbage, tech support isn't much better either. on a different note, just be aware that just because something says it's ONVIF compatible doesn't mean it is, sometimes it will work but with limited functionality, learned that on a course recently.

Don't touch anything by Videcon

I think you'd struggle to find a supplier who didn't have off days. I use/have used pretty much every mainstream security supplier in the UK at one time or another and even the biggest and best have issues. I've no issues with any of them, in general but you do need to use some of them a lot to get your average positive experience up!

just be aware that just because something says it's ONVIF compatible doesn't mean it is, sometimes it will work but with limited functionality

That's pretty much what the ONVIF standard is all about. There are different levels of compatibility, but then even some equipment from the same suppliers don't work properly with each other so it's swings and roundabouts, or something. Incompatible kit is incompatible, no matter what it says on the box!

I think you'd struggle to find a supplier who didn't have off days. I use/have used pretty much every mainstream security supplier in the UK at one time or another and even the biggest and best have issues. I've no issues with any of them, in general but you do need to use some of them a lot to get your average positive experience up!

That's pretty much what the ONVIF standard is all about. There are different levels of compatibility, but then even some equipment from the same suppliers don't work properly with each other so it's swings and roundabouts, or something. Incompatible kit is incompatible, no matter what it says on the box!

Oh, just like EN 60898 then!

It should all be compatible, but, it ain't all the same mechanical envelope, and the OEM's say that whilst it meets the standard, it isn't interchangeable.

Fat lot of good that is!

Pretty much, if it is all random ONVIF kit then in theory it will at least provide an image that can be used by the NVR. This may or may not 'just work' and may need some prodding and playing with to get working. The general gist is that all of the other stuff is not guaranteed to work (like motion, alarm, remote config etc). However, IME it makes no odds, cheap unbranded no name lettuced has worked better than matched branded equipment.

Last edited by a moderator: