Spare ballast socket for fluorescent/led fixture?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredphoesh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am wanting to get a replacement FIXTURE, ie the plug that the ballast/led shorter plugs into. The one I have is broken somehow, and the ballast cannot be connected to the existing socket.

I've searched amazon, ebay, the general web and there does not seem to be such a thing as a ballast socket. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I was hoping I could just short the two wires that lead into the little bayonett socket, but I've read that LED's also need a special ballast to make the light work.

Help much appreciated!

tx

Mark.

Hello guys,

Yes, OK, I thought that little thing was called a ballast... so it's called a starter!

Yep, that ebay item is perfect, thanks!

Just BTW, why does an LED need a starter too? I have read about people who re-wire their fluorescent fixtures to not need the starter.

Thanks for the help.

Mark.

The  starter' they use is not a real,starter. It is a plug that shorts out the opposing end cap pins and provides a neutral at the same end as the live from the ballast

when written down it looks a lot more complicated than it is

Ah, so if it is just shorting, couldn't I just join the two wires instead of buying a socket that seems to do nothing?

No, that will destroy your fluorescent tube in about 2 minutes, if not sooner.

Get a socket and put the starter in, where it's meant to be, or buy a replacement unit.

cheers, Paul

Get a socket and put the starter in, where it's meant to be, or buy a replacement unit.

cheers, Paul

Ok thanks, yep, I bought it already, but was wondering if I had just wasted a fiver ;)

Cheers

Mark.

cheers, Paul
I read it that he was using an LED instead of a flu tube.......as he mentioned fitting an LED in his first post

maybe I am wrong as I am fairly new to this

I read it that he was using an LED instead of a flu tube.......as he mentioned fitting an LED in his first post

maybe I am wrong as I am fairly new to this

Hi, yes, I am using an LED tube in the fitting... so that's why I was wondering if I could just bypass the starter by joining the two wires... but I guess not

Thanks for clarifying,

Mark.

You could do, but I wouldn't recommend it, you can actually remove all the guts from the fitting and rewire it, in fact some suppliers of LED tubes actually supply a diagram showing you how to do it. The problem arises when the tube fails and someone comes along not realising you've modified the fitting, and fits a standard florescent tube, it all gets dangerous at this point.

You could do, but I wouldn't recommend it, you can actually remove all the guts from the fitting and rewire it, in fact some suppliers of LED tubes actually supply a diagram showing you how to do it. The problem arises when the tube fails and someone comes along not realising you've modified the fitting, and fits a standard florescent tube, it all gets dangerous at this point.

Ok thanks Phil,.

I've paid for the replacement starter holder and the bulb comes with an LED starter, so I may as well do it properly...

Cheers for all the help guys,

Mark.

The  starter' they use is not a real,starter. It is a plug that shorts out the opposing end cap pins and provides a neutral at the same end as the live from the ballast

Some of them are also fuses.

Same could be said of anything that could be used for several purposes. You'll also find most manufacturers will include a sticker in the packaging that says something along the lines of 'this fitting has been rewired for use with LED tubes only'. Some companies supply LED only battens.

Some of them are also fuses.

Same could be said of anything that could be used for several purposes. You'll also find most manufacturers will include a sticker in the packaging that says something along the lines of 'this fitting has been rewired for use with LED tubes only'. Some companies supply LED only battens.
Trouble is you also find that most ordinary members of the public don't bother fitting the sticker, because, "I know it's been modified". lol