Jump to content

DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
revjames

HELP - poo coming out of rainwater drain

Recommended Posts

Blue Duck

Check your phone has OTG first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerching
30 minutes ago, Blue Duck said:

Just bought a 10m wireless version of the same thing......£27

paod,itsbrent on the first job...or in PDs case Jobbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerching

Put some drain dye down

work out which way the drains run

work,backwards to find the blockage

 

ree roots are a nightmare, we have combined surface and waste water drains which are forever getting blocked

 

why do folk not realise you should only flush something that you have already eaten or drunk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SPECIAL LOCATION

We don't have any surface rainwater drains at all...

Just the soil waste drains into man hole then down drive to road.

 

The surface rainwater just goes to soak-aways front and rear..

 

We had a blockage a few years back on our waste pipe.. this was at an underground  "U" bend at the bottom of the drive before our pipe joined the main street sewer.

Above this bend was a vertical pipe up to ground level to an access cover at the bottom of the drive.

 

We got  local drain company "Drain Doctor" to come and clear it...

He had a higher pressure semi ridged hose he could push down right to the point of the blockage.

 

Are you sure you don't have a surface drain that has been connected to the waste water manhole as it was the nearest access?

 

:C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames
On 23/10/2017 at 23:37, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

We don't have any surface rainwater drains at all...

Just the soil waste drains into man hole then down drive to road.

 

The surface rainwater just goes to soak-aways front and rear..

 

We had a blockage a few years back on our waste pipe.. this was at an underground  "U" bend at the bottom of the drive before our pipe joined the main street sewer.

Above this bend was a vertical pipe up to ground level to an access cover at the bottom of the drive.

 

We got  local drain company "Drain Doctor" to come and clear it...

He had a higher pressure semi ridged hose he could push down right to the point of the blockage.

 

Are you sure you don't have a surface drain that has been connected to the waste water manhole as it was the nearest access?

 

:C

I have only been here 3 months when the toilet is flushed it appears to shift the waste quickly down the waste pipe and there is no sign of any disturbance in the offending gully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
binky

we had  a blockage a few years ago, turned out to be  the handle off a childs plastic wheel barrow had somehow got into the drain, then 'caught' lots of stuff and eventually blocked. Being an old house there was a rodding point at the bottom of our garden with a sort of bottle trap just before it meets the main sewer (which previous owners had covered over - prats!). Called house insurance company, they has a team of guys out, who dug all down the garden by hand, replaced all darin pipes, cleared blockage, replaced bottle trap and made good. Took them 3 days and only cost us the policy excess on the claim. I would phone insurance company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames
7 hours ago, binky said:

we had  a blockage a few years ago, turned out to be  the handle off a childs plastic wheel barrow had somehow got into the drain, then 'caught' lots of stuff and eventually blocked. Being an old house there was a rodding point at the bottom of our garden with a sort of bottle trap just before it meets the main sewer (which previous owners had covered over - prats!). Called house insurance company, they has a team of guys out, who dug all down the garden by hand, replaced all darin pipes, cleared blockage, replaced bottle trap and made good. Took them 3 days and only cost us the policy excess on the claim. I would phone insurance company.

I phoned them on monday, Drain Advisory Services are coming next weds to assess the job. So 9 days of poo in the back garden before it even gets looked at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony S

It'll be good for next years rhubarb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

if the names anything to go by, they will advise you its blocked and they need to arrange someone to unblock it sometime next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
binky

we were sorted in under a week. Can't remember who we were insured with at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames

Just spoke to a plumber and he reckons the water board will come out and have a look so will be calling in the morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
binky

does sound like some form of main drain is blocked if your own stuff disappears happily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames

In the end I phoned the emergency number for the water board. They said that there was nothing of theirs on site but would send someone out to look at the manhole in the road. 2 hours later 2 guys arrived and before I knew it they had the manhole at the front (the one I assumed was just for rainwater) open and had the camera in. 9.5 metres away was a blockage. Jetwash came out and cleared it all the way back to the rainwater gully. Phoned insurance and told them not to bother. 

 

So heres what happened (for those of you who are interested) Sewer was already blocked and had been for some time before I moved in. House is old so both foul water and rain water empty into the same pipe. Most of the rainwater gullies were blocked due to neglect. When I unblocked the one nearest the soil pipe, I provided an open vent for the waste to go hence the filling up of the gully. 

 

All  cleared up and a smile on my face now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony S

So you won't be growing rhubarb next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames
18 minutes ago, Tony S said:

So you won't be growing rhubarb next year?

yes but only on the allotment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

at least its all sorted. and better than having to claim on insurance, and end up paying the cost on next years premium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerching

On the down side....now you don't have anything to stop you biting your nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames

had a phone call today from my mrs, toilet blocked again.... from the last episode I know there is an inspection cover under the shed. So floor up and lifted the cover off. Blockage was close to the downpipe from the bathroom and after a couple of hours rodding I had it shifted. I have heard that these new toilets with eco flushing cisterns do not put enough water down the drains and can allow things like paper to sit there and eventually build up and cause a blockage. I cant be doing this ever 2 or 3 months! Does anyone know if I would be better of with a 'bog standard' bog instead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

could try flushing it a bit more often?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharpend

I think all new toilets have a 6litre flush which judging by my own experiments😳 is not enough. The alternatives are to make your own cistern or have a bucket of water handy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Duck

old-fashioned-toilet-Powder-Room-Traditi

 

OR

 

450.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doc Hudson

What sort of flush mechanism is inside the toilet cistern? A lot of syphon mechanisms basically limit the amount of water that can flow from a single flush. We have converted our home toilets to these stupidly simple flappy plug type valves. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit-1/50692  So simple and effective, and if you just hold the lever (or button) longer then you can empty the whole cistern full of water in one flush if you have had, what we may call a large deposit donated into the pan!  This one converts to a push button rather than a lever arrangement. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-conversion-kit-1/38533 At the end of the day the maximum size of your flush is dependant firstly upon the water volume of your cistern, then the type of flush mechanism. These type of valves maximise your flush as big as is feasible possible. 

 

Doc H. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames
18 hours ago, Doc Hudson said:

What sort of flush mechanism is inside the toilet cistern? A lot of syphon mechanisms basically limit the amount of water that can flow from a single flush. We have converted our home toilets to these stupidly simple flappy plug type valves. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit-1/50692  So simple and effective, and if you just hold the lever (or button) longer then you can empty the whole cistern full of water in one flush if you have had, what we may call a large deposit donated into the pan!  This one converts to a push button rather than a lever arrangement. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-conversion-kit-1/38533 At the end of the day the maximum size of your flush is dependant firstly upon the water volume of your cistern, then the type of flush mechanism. These type of valves maximise your flush as big as is feasible possible. 

 

Doc H. 

not sure about cistern internals but will check it out. thanks for helpful info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revjames

OK I think I have finally got to the bottom of this - pardon the pun.... 

Under the floor of my shed I found an inspection cover. There is a long sweeping 90 bend in a deep gulley formed with bricks and mortar. This is where all the nasty stuff is slowing down and backing up. I pressure washed all the nasties away and found there is mortar missing in several places. The inner surface is not glazed just bare mortar. There is a 4" clay pipe entering the chamber and another exiting. The pipe on the entry is accessible in that I could get an adaptor around it. The exit pipe is flush with the surrounding masonry and you wouldnt want to disturb it. - see pic

My plan is to get a pvc long 90 channeled bend and break up the gulley to make room, fit a rubber socket adaptor in the exit, push the end of the channel bend in to it and then a collar adaptor on the entry end. Then fill the void around and under the pipe with concrete. The grey pipe above is a diy effort to take rainwater from above by the shed.

Do you think it will work?

can anyone tell me the internal size of the 4" clay pipe in mm?

 

IMG_20180127_161143829.jpg

Edited by revjames
missed a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™

whats the other pipe for?

 

if it was mine, id probably try and tidy up the bottom a bit, maybe cement the side and make it a bit smoother or line it with fibreglass or something, but i wouldnt try and fit a pipe over both ends and leave in inaccessable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.