Angle Drill - Sort Of!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggy

Reaction score
Bit of a ramble here to give you some background before I get 'round to my question.

i had until recently, two options for angle drilling:

1. a Makita 18V cordless angle drill, fine for drilling small holes in awkward places, not enough grunt for drilling 25mm holes in joists.

2. a Makita 110V drill fitted with an AEG angle head, brilliant for joist drilling, inconvenience of cable & transformer.

Unfortunately my 110V angle drill was stolen from a site (don't normally leave gear on site but ........)

I'd like to replace it with a higher torque cordless angle drill. I can't find anything on the market, so hatched a plan. I have bought and AEG angle adapter. I could fit it to a Makita or Metabo corded drill but here (at last!) is my question:

Is there a decent cordless drill with a 1/2" spindle and a 43mm collar? Needn't be a current model, happy to track down an obsolete model.

Speaking for myself I'd always opt for a corded machine for Grumble &  Grunt work like drilling joists etc ,  battery drills are great but from the moment you start  it up , its losing power .  

Yeah I know everyone loves them  but if you're setting up for a days work  , how long does it take to run a lead out . 

Last week we knew we had to drill through a 1 mtr thick wall , twice ,  ....we've had the drill bits from a job years ago but my partner always opts to use the Bosch battery 18V SDS .     Now me ,  theres a socket right there ,  I'd put the corded SDS   110V on the van and that was the drill for the job in hand ...no loss of power .  I suppose it took 1 minute to plug in .  

An even better job was when the builder phoned me to say he had all the floor joists stacked on the  deck ....was it a good idea if he drilled straight through them and if so where should he drill ?   

Speaking for myself I'd always opt for a corded machine for Grumble &  Grunt work like drilling joists etc ,  battery drills are great but from the moment you start  it up , its losing power .  

Yeah I know everyone loves them  but if you're setting up for a days work  , how long does it take to run a lead out . 

Last week we knew we had to drill through a 1 mtr thick wall , twice ,  ....we've had the drill bits from a job years ago but my partner always opts to use the Bosch battery 18V SDS .     Now me ,  theres a socket right there ,  I'd put the corded SDS   110V on the van and that was the drill for the job in hand ...no loss of power .  I suppose it took 1 minute to plug in .  

An even better job was when the builder phoned me to say he had all the floor joists stacked on the  deck ....was it a good idea if he drilled straight through them and if so where should he drill ?   

I started with a battery angled drill but ended up getting one of these:

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-da4000lr-0.5inch-13mm-rotary-angle-drill-110v-p1468

pricey but excellent to use.

Have any of you guys tried our Wood Beaver bits in an impact driver?

Yes I know impact drivers are noisy but they have big advantages over conventional drilling machines for this kind of work.

• Compact size allows inter-joist drilling. Especially when using stubby length bits.
  • Impact driver mechanism eliminates "grab" and makes the whole process one-handed. Useful if you're reaching off a ladder, over your head, under floors etc.
  • High torque required is easily achieved with the impact driver resulting in more holes per charge than combi-drills.

Seen at approx 35 seconds onwards here

Phil :)

8 hours ago, Armeg UK said:

Yes I know impact drivers are noisy but they have big advantages over conventional drilling machines for this kind of work.

• Compact size allows inter-joist drilling. Especially when using stubby length bits.
  • Impact driver mechanism eliminates "grab" and makes the whole process one-handed. Useful if you're reaching off a ladder, over your head, under floors etc.
  • High torque required is easily achieved with the impact driver resulting in more holes per charge than combi-drills.

Cue competition for Forum members only and NO twitter, BbokFace, Grinder or whatever else it is called nowadays !

I started with a battery angled drill but ended up getting one of these:

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-da4000lr-0.5inch-13mm-rotary-angle-drill-110v-p1468

pricey but excellent to use.
Yep, I have one and it's older brother. It actually makes it a joy to drill holes!     And even better pulling cables through in a straight line instead of a 'sawtooth' run

bought mine after seeing gas lad on a big refurb running a 28mm main. Brick out outside, drill joists, thread pipe full length of building soldering as he went

9 hours ago, Armeg UK said:

Yes, on my second set. They're fine in a impact driver for upto about ten holes before the impact driver gets too hot. In a combi drill I tend to bend them when they jam. Having said all that, they are good.