Drill For An 84 Year Old

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously! For the 84 year old father in law. He's a very active old boy and keen on his DIY. His no name cordless has bit the dust. I showed him my Makita BHP451 thinking the weight would put him off but he quite liked it!

Anyway, at 80Nm I don't want him breaking his wrist so it's coming down to either a Makita 453 from Wickes at £100 (I got a £20 off voucher at the till when I bought some dust the other day)  or a similar spec Hitachi DV18DSFL/JC from S'fix for £99. Both top out at about 42-45Nm on the torque. The Makita comes with a single 3.0Ah Li-ion and a 22 min charger:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Makita-18v-Combi-Drill%2B3-0Ah-Li-Ion-Batt/p/104014

The Hitachi comes with two 1.5Ah Li-ion batteries and a 40 minute charger:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dsfl-jc-18v-1-5ah-li-lon-cordless-combi-drill/43195

Any thoughts?

im a big fan of the Makita 18v Li-ion stuff.

the makita has 3AH battery which will last longer (is worth more) then the 1.5AH in the hitachi.

Only downside is the 3AH battery will be heavier.

When I get to 84 if, last thing I will be buying is drills.
Earlier this year he did a charity cycle ride around Brands Hatch with my 15 year old son for the Lions Hospice. My lad managed 9 laps and the old boy did TEN! Slipped on ice a couple of years back and went to the doctors for the first time in nearly 40 years. They were stunned when they asked "What drugs are you on? and he said "None!".

It's only slightly embarassing that it was MY bike he borrowed - at least it gets some use! :lol:

Back to the drill issue, fair points by kerching on the two batteries and belt clip issue and I guess the 1.5's will a bit lighter too. Having to stop to recharge twice as often will mean more tea breaks. Hovever the downside of this, it will mean twice as much interaction with the mother in law!

BUT the Makita does come with a "34 piece accessory set".

As an aside S'fix are doing Hitachi 3.0Ah batteries for £49.99 & whereas for the Makita it's £89.99..........

As to quality my only experience of Hitachi is one of my 110V grinders. Used to use it a lot on site but as it's only 100mm rather than 115mm I've drifted away from using it but it never let me down.

So......Makita vs Hitachi??

99% of my gear is Dewalt old style 18v, along with a couple of AEG 12volters ( i will post about their Fricking amazing warranty honouring system, unlike b and Qs which is lower than an Axolotl's gonads)

All mains stuff is Makita

I have one Hitachi 24V SDS drill, it was on a silly offer from Screwfix, it is OK BUT it is not a patch on the DeWalt

Reading this back I can see that it is of NO use at all to you, but it passed a few mins while the coffee brewed

Just wasted 2 minutes of my life, no sorry two and a half, oh hang on thre

I would think that an 84 year old geezer would be happy with the lighter model. He may have more time therefore be more organised and charge the batteries regularly. Besides its unlikely I'd have thought that he'd be using them 8 hrs a day every day?

I'd get him one with an easy clutch if I were you. On my wifes orders I had to confiscate her grandfathers step ladders at the age of 92, he threatened me with violence and didn't speak to me for about 6 months.

I'd get him one with an easy clutch if I were you. On my wifes orders I had to confiscate her grandfathers step ladders at the age of 92, he threatened me with violence and didn't speak to me for about 6 months.
You did leave him stuck in the loft......

good on him :slap   why don'tyou buy him a stable lightweight set, cos at arough guess his old ones were still wood?

Lol, yep they were wooden steps and he used to linseed oil them religiously every year. After the step ladder episode and on his 65th birthday she wanted me to persuade him to stop driving his car. In the last year he'd had several accidents, one where he'd run into a horse that was being ridden across a pedestrian crossing, one where he'd tried to park in a parking space that already had a car in it and once where he'd turned into the wrong house and hit a lamp pole in the driveway because he wasn't expecting it to be there. He was Scottish and had a sharp tongue and blunt wit, I told wifey to do her own dirty work, I wasn't interested after the step ladder affair.

Bought the old boy a Makita 18V in the end with x2 1.5Ah Li-ion batteries. Circa 43Nm torque. Seems happy enough. First thing he built...............an MDF coffin to bury our cat in!

Sorry - missed this first time out.................

I`ve GOT the hitachi - and its a really nice piece of kit.......so much so, I got the SDS and impact driver to match.

It HAS been back once, under warranty, due to a worn out gearbox - but I had it back, good as new, 3 days later.

Latest posts