CU preference

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmacd

Reaction score
Hi All.

I know this has been touched on in a few threads but I thought I would start a poll to see which CU's people prefer to use. I have always preferred MK but that may just me the snob in me as I worked on a crabtree the other week and that seemed quite roomy inside too. And what about Wylex? Many people still have their old rewire-able units but are the modern ones good?

If you select other then can you please state which one in the thread, please?

Ian.

Hager, with RCBOS if possible, if a smallish installation

If not probably a dual split with unprotected ways of the wylex variety, as this is what the wholesalers stocks, not a massive fan of them but do the job at a good price.

Favourite boards memshield type A, but a bit overkill in some situations.

Fave CU is square D, but not generally available - just really like the cable entries and quality of the unit. Have taken to using Denmans cheapy 'control gear' recently which seems OK

Crabtree Starbreaker mainly because you can easily unplug a breaker and replace.

A lot of the others you have to loosen the bottom connections on the busbar to get a breaker out of a loaded board .

After Crabtree I prefer Hager.

For single phase wylex high integrity and for three phase merlin gerin is what we use :)

For single phase wylex high integrity and for three phase merlin gerin is what we use :)
if you ever have a merlin gerin board with the slide switches between breaker and busbar, do not drop front cover on them, it removes busbar covers and all little parts... really awkward to fit everything back together! (doesnt help when everyone is then complaining because power is turned off whilst it gets repaired)

I don't like wylex three phase boards if you fit an RCD as main switch. Did one last year cover slipped while fitting it and broke test button another

I was working on this house today and a 17th ed wylex was being fitted there and I thought it looked solid enough with lots of room for neat terminations . the man fitting it is N.I.C.E.I.C registered and said that he usually only fits Wylex unless a customer request something different, as he never has any problems with them . I would usually opt for M.K but it's really down to the individual . I did like the Wylex board though .

Crabtree Starbreaker mainly because you can easily unplug a breaker and replace.A lot of the others you have to loosen the bottom connections on the busbar to get a breaker out of a loaded board .

After Crabtree I prefer Hager.
I also do like the Starbreaker plug in bus-bar for their MCB's & RCBO's,

can make some testing or alterations easy.. e.g. you may want to pop an RCBO out to fit a temporary MCB to undertake some testing.

generally their enclosures have reasonable room.

Well impressed with the Denmans Basics range (Control Direct). Looks very similar to MK when installed - nice quality plastic - but very cheap - and RCD's in 17th boards seem to trip in roughly the same times - good quality control or just lucky! I like Hager - but not so good as far as keeping costs down!

The only component failures that I've come across in existing installations have been Proteus and MK.