New build Consumer Unit in kitchen cupboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day to all.

Is there anything against a Consumer Unit going in a wall unit in the kitchen on a new build. It falls within the Part M '1350mm to 1450mm to breakers' rule.

One of the bods has queried a ruling about it being above a worktop. I can't remember seeing anything about that before. I have looked at part M doc and couldn't spot anything.

Trying to get it out of the downstairs w/c. I nor the client think it is a good idea in the w/c (as per design drawings) and it will also rid a sub-main that wasn't planned for as they didn't know the rules for tails, etc.

Hate seeing them in the w/c, either right next to sink or next to / above bog. :vomit

I have through the course of many years fitted a cu within a kitchen cupboard, this was a design request, however I have to say it’s a complete waste of a cupboard in my opinion. 

Can you not fit a fully recessedboard in the wall of the w c, at least this way a strategic  picture placement could hide it? 

Part m is as clear as it is confusing ......there is nothing to say it can’t be in a cupboard, fixed to the cupboard , but in a new build it sounds like a really poor decision imho

TBH it sounds like an afterthought, there's one chance to get it right and it should have been one of the first things the architect thought of. Probably too concern with mood lighting in the en-suite to worry about positions of minor inconveniences like DBs...

If its a new build  surely theres somewhere better for it that , as  Sharpie says ,  a waste of a cupboard .

I recently  formed a downstairs toilet at home  , it was a store cupboard ,  now its a toilet  .  Had to move the incoming mains outside  and re-site  a new board in the toilet .   I don't  have a problem  with it TBH .  A few piccys naturally . 

Should we have a separate thread for members toilets perhaps.? 

Photo0494.jpg

Photo0497.jpg

Photo0619.jpg

Photo0563 (2).jpg

Thanks for the replies.

It's not so much an after thought, more a case of they haven't got a clue what they are doing mixed in with the client making the builds very personal. They aren't for him, but looking at it from his own perspective.

They do not want them in the w/c. not in the hall / living room / dining room either. Nowhere on view. The only other option really is hidden in kitchen by cupboard (note to @kerching, will be fixed to the wall ;))

There are no other cupboards (under stairs, store, etc) in the build. So it can't go there. They would sooner lose half a wall unit than have it on view.

If it goes back to the w/c, it can pretty much go anywhere technically can't it? no sink zones anymore even in bathroom. common sense would tell you to keep some space from sink mind and make sure you can't pee on it.

Guess you could always stand the spare bog rolls on it........

It is not always the sparky's fault.  Sometimes the customer changes his mind.

Years ago I wired a barn conversion. Sited the CU in the agreed position. First fix all done.

Went back for second fix to find the kitchen now in a different place, and a kitchen wall unit, with the back carefully cut out, encompassing the CU.

Have you offered them the Schneider Easy9? It could be fitted semi-recessed and they could have the front magnetic picture made to match the wallpaper and be quite inconspicious! https://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/product-range-presentation/63125-easy9%2B/

Or there's always Hager's offerings that I saw at Elex  - choose a colour! http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/energy-distribution/consumer-units/design-range-of-consumer-units/design-50/67847.htm

PS Deke, it looks like your new toilet has a silver handle when the other doors have brass. Might just be the lighting ;)

I"ve fitted one last week, income and old board in kitchen so fitted it too wall then cut out  the back so the cupboard fits over it neatly and the meter is accessible etc.