Do I need a new supply?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliotjwebb

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of converting the first, second and third floors of an office building into 6 flats. I have been speaking to ENWL regarding the electricity supply and am currently on my third revised quote without them ever coming to site which I'm finding concerning so looking for some advice.

Basically we have an single incoming supply which comes in at basement level (we don't own basement or ground floor). The supply then goes up into 3 x 3 phase supplies one on each floor. ENWL are saying (without ever coming to site) that we need a new incoming and to be set up as a building network operator (BNO). Maybe I am being naive or lacking understanding but I don't see why we need a new supply. Each 3 phase board is separately metered at present so why can't we alter the existing supply so that the 3 phase on the first floors splits into 3 meters (for 3 flats), second floor splits into 2 meters (for two flats) and third floor has 1 meter for the top flat. I'm sure its more complicated than that but my question is basically is there a way we can alter the existing set up to be compliant and avoid the cost and time delay of digging up the street to bring in a new supply.

Cheers for any help / advice

Hi,

I am in the process of converting the first, second and third floors of an office building into 6 flats. I have been speaking to ENWL regarding the electricity supply and am currently on my third revised quote without them ever coming to site which I'm finding concerning so looking for some advice.

Basically we have an single incoming supply which comes in at basement level (we don't own basement or ground floor). The supply then goes up into 3 x 3 phase supplies one on each floor. ENWL are saying (without ever coming to site) that we need a new incoming and to be set up as a building network operator (BNO). Maybe I am being naive or lacking understanding but I don't see why we need a new supply. Each 3 phase board is separately metered at present so why can't we alter the existing supply so that the 3 phase on the first floors splits into 3 meters (for 3 flats), second floor splits into 2 meters (for two flats) and third floor has 1 meter for the top flat. I'm sure its more complicated than that but my question is basically is there a way we can alter the existing set up to be compliant and avoid the cost and time delay of digging up the street to bring in a new supply.

Cheers for any help / advice
Converting to flats from an office will use more power, you don't mention how you are going to heat the flats, or what the cooking arrangements are and these are things that need to be taken into account. Obviously, if you had gas heating and the shower run off the boiler, and if you had gas cooking, then that would dramatically reduce the load on the incoming supply.At the moment,given that most offices are not particularly power hungry, i.e they won't be pulling a lot of load, it's conceivable that the incomer will be fused at either 80 or 100 amps per phase.

Given that you are looking at creating 6 flats, plus whatever power is being used on the other 2 floors (basement and ground) there is potential for the load to exceed the availability from the supply, and this is what they are looking at. By and large these days a lot of landlords of flats avoid using gas as it saves the cost of an annual safety check, plus some local authorities do not permit the use of gas in certain types of property, so assuming you chose not to use gas you can see where the problems arise. unfortunately for you there is no quick or cheap fix for this.