Power to garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjonesguitar

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for reading my post.

I have a garage in a nice residential area in west London. It is a nice garage and not a grubby one. I want to get electricity to the garage, because it makes it easier to sell or let with lighting and a double socket.

Because it does not and nor appropriate to have an address, I have already been told that the local power network will not connect it due to being neither residential or commercial. They have highlighted that maybe it can be unmetered. However, this needs to be looked into.

The only other option is to go off grid? I am welcoming any advice.

Also, would someone recommend a 16A or 32A socket?

It depends how much power you want.

If all you want is lighting for occasional use get a small solar panel, as sold as vehicle battery maintainers, a leisure type battery and some 12 volt led light strip.

If you want power (again occasionally) for tools then a petrol generator could be your solution.

Because, I want the setup to be/look not too amateurish. It is acturally a fairly decent garage on the outskirt of West London... it is acturally lettable at £200 p/m. Its resell value is in the region of £35000. Finding a garage with power is hard. Only about 1 in 10 have power. Therefore, I feel it needs to be a half decent setup. I think enough to power occasional lighting, small heater, and some powertools etc. Its use is then a small workshop as opposed to just stand alone storage/parking space. Generator is noisy/have exhaust problems... diy lighting can also look amature.

Last edited by a moderator:
It acturally isn't for me so much, I am just think of potential when I no longer use it...