Possibly the most expensive household bill.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you are all missing it.

My most expensive household bill is food.  I think I get good value for  money for that.

Second most expensive bill is COUNCIL TAX.  I consider I get very poor value for money for that.  Council tax way exceeds my heating, in fact my total electricity bill and my telephone bill and mobile phone bill all added together.

We hear on the news. you are considered to be in "fuel poverty" if your fuel bill is > 10% of your income.  Well I am therefore oficcially in "Council Tax Poverty" because the council tax is >10% of my income, yet nothing I can do do reduce it, I don't qualify for ANY of the discounts available.

I pay BT about £35 per month for landline, broadband, calls and a mobile SIM. That is not so bad.

TIP. At each contract renewal with BT, phone them and remind them that Plusnet do it a lot cheaper. If they refuse to price  match, then I will move to Plusnet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay the same as Mr Eeevans.  :(

I forgot about the extras that are on top of the council tax; garden waste @£75 / year and the parking permit which has just gone up £60 because I drive an evil diesel @£165/ year.

Have to agree about not feeling like I'm getting a good deal with them and I cant see the amount they charge going down, EVER!

I'd forgotten about food , so just had some dinner .   :rolleyes:

So :

Food                                       £70.00  week 

Council tax                         £22.40    week

BT Line                                   £10.29  week

Gas/Elect                             £ 25.00  week

Car tax/Ins/MOT             £ 8.12      week  

Part Pee                                £ 8.60     week 

Duck...Garden waste  here is £30  /Year .   No parking charges  but  a vehicle emission charge is  coming for the city centre  only. 

Per month for a family of 4 adults

mortgage £1100

food £700

council tax £270

dual fuel £162

then there is all the rest .... which all adds up to a LOT ...

my biggest business expenses is van fuel, then CPS, followed by van insurance ....