Flickering lights and sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork38

Reaction score
New to this board so Hi, and thanks in advance for advice.

had an extension 3 years ago and a new consumer unit fitted. Never had any issues until last week when a table lamp began flickering. Noticed the same issue intermittently, but at the same time with ceiling lights which are on a different circuit. Have now confirmed that the same flickering is occurring on upstairs and downstairs sockets and lights. I feel it’s a supply issue but is there any basic check I could perform before contacting them. Thanks again.

probably a loose conection. it may be within the consumer unit or on the supply side. your electrician should be able to check the wiring inside first and confirm if it is or if its a DNO issue

Shame you’re not North of the Tyne Andy otherwise I’d of got you out. If it’s a DNO issue can I claim back the cost of the sparky or not? 

I know now it needs sorting but want to know where I stand. Cheers.

If its a DNO issue  there should be no charge  , it,s their equipment  , they have to maintain it .  

Bur as you mentioned a new consumer unit , I'd be looking in there first .   It would seem that some sparks these days can't tighten up terminals .  Perhaps one of the  neutral  links , who knows without looking . 

Fitted 3 years ago , I don't see any guarantee  ,  possibly  some warranty on the work if he was with  a registered Competent Persons scheme  .  Do you have  an Installation cert from him ?        

Not sure the issue is with the lack of tightness, more the flimsy nature of most fuseboard these days .....

the op needs to get a spark in first, then see what they say

Shame you’re not North of the Tyne Andy otherwise I’d of got you out. If it’s a DNO issue can I claim back the cost of the sparky or not? 

DNO is unlikely to refund you anything paid. if you think its a DNO isue call them. 0800 66 88 77. there usually pretty good. but id still go with its a problem on your wiring

and there's a tunnel and a few bridges between north & south

Last edited by a moderator:
DNO is unlikely to refund you anything paid. if you think its a DNO isue call them. 0800 66 88 77. there usually pretty good. but id still go with its a problem on your wiring

and there's a tunnel and a few bridges between north & south
Andy, there's a new national number now for the DNO, 105, it knows where you are and automatically connects you to the one for your area, just thought you'd like to know that one. tell them you're a friend of mine  and you get preferential treatment, lol.

Andy, there's a new national number now for the DNO, 105, it knows where you are and automatically connects you to the one for your area, just thought you'd like to know that one. tell them you're a friend of mine  and you get preferential treatment, lol.

yes, but i already have the number saved so easier to just call that... of couse i always press 1 for emergencies regardless...

New to this board so Hi, and thanks in advance for advice.

had an extension 3 years ago and a new consumer unit fitted. Never had any issues until last week when a table lamp began flickering. Noticed the same issue intermittently, but at the same time with ceiling lights which are on a different circuit. Have now confirmed that the same flickering is occurring on upstairs and downstairs sockets and lights. I feel it’s a supply issue but is there any basic check I could perform before contacting them. Thanks again.

Have you considered if you will be happy for the DNO to charge you.. if the fault is not theirs ?

IF someone has done some sub-standard electrical work at your property it could take a long time to come to light..

(All depending upon connected loads, power running through the cables and the heat generated from the loads though any dodgy joints etc..)

Are there any funny "electrical smells" around the fuse box or meter or main fuse?

As a rule of thumb I general think it better to get a competent electrician in to check the internal property wiring

and the supply cables etc around the meter first, to get a better idea of probable cause..

There is more wiring and connections that are your jurisdiction than the DNO's..

Everything after the meter falls onto your lap for responsibility... 

So  it can be tricky to call who is to blame without doing a few tests first.

Who fitted the consumer unit....

An electrician you selected or the builders electrician …?

This can make a BIG difference to the quality of the work!

Guinness

Latest posts