Outdoor cable routing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT

Reaction score
I’m landscaping my garden and looking for guidance on routing an armoured cable to supply a water feature pump.

Is it ok for most of the cable to be buried (to suitable depth etc) and a small section (1-2m) to be attached to the lower rail of a wooden fence as patio will prevent digging here?

Dont have an electrician lined up yet and just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum mate.

There are many factors that have to be taken into account for this circuit.

Wouldn't it be better to get an electrician in to quote for this work, as he will be putting his name against the electrical cert?

You can tell them that you will dig the trench, and this will save money.

He can also view to see if the fence is suitable for the cable to be clipped on.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I will be getting an electrician to quote etc but patio is being laid in next couple of days and can’t get a quote beforehand so wanted to know before section is laid that would prevent the cable from being buried next to fence.

would it make sense to sink a section of pvc pipe under that small section of patio so cable could be routed under it later on (avoiding need to clip to fence)?

Thanks 

Yes you can get some proper electrical black ducting and run that from house to first light position, this way you can run remainder of duct when you have a final position for lights.  

This way the patio can be laid and cables run without disturbing patio. I wouldn’t cut corners on using a different ducting as the electrician might be one of us!

As above, get some proper electrical ducting and lay it where you want the cable to go in the patio area.

Make sure all bends are sweeping bends (no sharp bends) and it needs to be 600mm deep, as the rest of the cable will need to be at this depth.

That would not be suitable as a little too narrow and wouldn’t take much to get blocked, also it’s be some intricate bends and joints all of which would/could be fail points. Better to get proper duct on a continuous length/roll with a larger diameter to ensure minimisation of blockages.  

If its a straight run you could use 25mm    PVC conduit  with couplers  , which I've done myself in the past .    As said above , 20mm  is a bit small.    

Best really to go to a builder's merchant , Selco etc .