Economy 7 Time Switching Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Port

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can advise. Normally I have three storage heaters that are left on and untouched through the heating season. I noticed yesterday the house was hotter than normal and looked at the meter to find it spinning fast on the 'normal', day rate setting. By turning heaters on and off, it was clear that power was feeding into them. I checked in the late evening and it appears the time switch works in that it still switches between 'normal' and 'low' settings - switching to low around midnight, and back to normal around 7 a.m. - but the power remains on constantly, 24 hours a day, to the economy 7 circuit on both 'normal' and 'low'. The heaters are on a seperate circuit and the power switch is an old Sangamo 0345 -1-123 model, fixed onto a black box which linking into an old, twin read out, analogue white meter.

My questions:

1. Am I right in assuming the fault is likely to be in the Sangamo Time Switch? Is there a relay or something?

2. Who is responsible for repair/replacement:  the DNO or the supplier?

3. If I have a smart meter fitted will this replace both the old Time Switch and analogue meter, and likely solve the issue?

Any help, advice or comments, will be much appreciated.

That is an old system. But it sounds like the timer would switch some kind of contactor.

Can you post some pictures? You will have to upload them to an image hosting service and provide a link.

A smart meter might solve it, but is the wrong approach. That's like saying my car won't start so I will buy a new car rather than fix it.

I would say that sangamo is directly switching the load to the off peak fuse box (or supposed to be)

You need to contact your energy supplier.  My guess is they will replace it with a more modern meter that incorporates the time switch built in, and considerably de clutter that mess.