Solar set up help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmk1981

Reaction score
HELP... getting massively conflicting advice from people. 
I have a small set up of four stables and we are off grid.
I would like LEDs in all four stables and an outside light. 
At the moment I have an 80AH battery and a 2kw inverter with a 10w solar panel (which does next to nothing) and a charge controller. 
I only use the lights for about an hour a day, sometimes run a radio, the odd time I will boil a camping kettle or run a set of horse clippers.. hence having a big inverter.
I was given a 40w panel to switch with the 10w so I didn’t have to take the battery home every couple of weeks and charge it.

Question is... would you say 40w(or adding it to the 10w) 50w is enough time trickle charge the battery?

Someone just messaged saying I need a 2KW system! Pretty sure that runs a house and even campers only have 150w!
Your opinion would be massively appreciated.

Thanks so much

really hard to say without knwoing more, but an extra 40W is going to help a lot - try it and see what happens. You can get 300W panels for around £100, but you may need a larger charge controller.

Remember that the stated output of these panels is for full sunlight, and you will be lucky to get 10% of that on a gloomy January day. I would definitely ditch the kettle.  

it's not a case of a kettle or not, it's about trickle charging the batteries to a sufficient level to cope with demands. Bigger the panel, the greater the charging, the more useable enrgy is available. Now as this fella only has to take  a battery home occsionally to charge it up, then it woud suggest even a measily 10W panel is almost doing what he needs, so quadrupling charge capacity sounds like it may do everything he needs??? 

Latest posts