Fire proofing/rating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
1. When you drill through a wall to route cable etc I know you have to make sure that the hole is sealed to fire proof it. Can anyone recommend a product they use to fill the hole round the cable with that doesn’t damage the cable as it’s fire proof. My boss literally uses normal silicone but I don’t think that’s acceptable. Thoughts ? 

2. When you have done a fuse board change and the cables are rear entry what would you guys use to seal the gaps. I know when it’s glanded to use fire rated glands. Thoughts ? 

2. When you have done a fuse board change and the cables are rear entry what would you guys use to seal the gaps. I know when it’s glanded to use fire rated glands. Thoughts ? 

Nothing....

Why create rules that don't exist...

Enclosures should be non-combustible..

BUT they do not have to be a completely "sealed" enclosure..

Have you ever tried doing additions / alterations on installations where every last little nook & cranny is gobbed up with sealant!

:C   

No I agree I just wanted to be sure. But sounds like point 1 needs something. Thanks

surely you only need to seal a hole if drilling through a fire rated wall? In a house this would include an internal garage, but otherwise a whole house is one fire compartment.

surely you only need to seal a hole if drilling through a fire rated wall? In a house this would include an internal garage, but otherwise a whole house is one fire compartment.
Ok thanks for the input

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.